jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

When adultery is committed

1. rexy profile image68
    rexyposted 2 years ago

When adultery is committed

by an older married man who has grand children.....what would you class him as.... ?

2. cathylynn99 profile image76
    cathylynn99posted 2 years ago

desperately clinging to youth, putting his ego and gratification ahead  of his family. or maybe not. i haven't heard his side of the story.

1. dashingscorpio profile image86
      dashingscorpioposted 2 years agoin reply to this

It's possible his wife lost interest in sex years ago or after menopause. Most cheaters aren't looking to replace their relationship or put gratification ahead of their family. The don't feel they should have to (do without) whatever they "need".

3. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

Age has nothing to do with it. Adultery is adultery so he would considered a "cheater".  Not every older person loses their libido or interest in sex. It's possible his wife has no interest in it.
    My guess is he has no plans to "run off" with another woman.
    Most cheaters seek to hold onto all that is "good" in their primary relationship while addressing their other "needs" on the side.
    Some long-term marriages are nothing more than "roommates with the same last name." The romance fizzled out between them several years ago. One never really knows what the dynamics are in a marriage.
    Some people are (content) with simply being long-term "companions" while others want to maintain a healthy sex life. Not long ago I asked a question on HP: "Is sexual incompatibility enough of a reason to end a marriage?"
    Over 90% of the responses said; No. I suspect most cheaters feel whatever is (missing) in their marriage is not worth going through a divorce! Nevertheless they also don't feel as though they should have to go without whatever it is they feel they need.
    It's human nature to want to be happy. Unfortunately at times it makes humans act selfishly. Ultimately the goal is to be with someone who wants what you do. In some ways it's more cowardly to cheat while holding on to marriage than it is to walk away and pursue your ideal relationship before meeting anyone.

1. profile image0
      temptor94posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Great answer! Indeed most cheaters are looking for something they can keep a secret while holding on to their stable relationships.

working