jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

How many ex-gays do you know?

1. Joseph O Polanco profile image39
    Joseph O Polancoposted 2 years ago

How many ex-gays do you know?

2. jlpark profile image86
    jlparkposted 2 years ago

None. Those people I know are either gay, bi or straight - not ex-anything.

I know of several who have been through "Conversion Therapy" type programmes, but they have not worked, and in general damaged those who undertook the therapy. Which is probably why they (the programmes) are slowly being outlawed as dangerous.

Bisexual people also don't qualify as "ex gay" if they are in a straight relationship - they are still bisexual, therefore attracted to the opposite and the same sex, but are monogamous in their current relationship regardless of gender.

I note you have deleted an answer already, and you've said previously that they were deleted for not answering the question - I feel that I have answered it - because I do not know anyone for whom 'changing' their sexuality has worked, but I do know people who have felt they needed to try.

Joseph - how many ex-gays do you know? I'd like to know, and perhaps hear their story if I may.

1. Joseph O Polanco profile image39
      Joseph O Polancoposted 2 years agoin reply to this
    2. jlpark profile image86
      jlparkposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks 4 that. I note that 1 is celibate rather than straight, + the other abused, which can disturb 1's view of sex regardless of gender mix (so may not have actually been gay). But good 4 them, if they feel happier as 'x-gay'. Bt its not 4 every1

3. Joseph O Polanco profile image39

How do you know it's not for everyone?

4. jlpark profile image86

I think if you read my answer you'll see why it isn't for everyone - as ex-gay usually means conversion therapy which is dangerous. I don't believe yr examples are ex-gay - 1 is celibate, not str8, the other prob not gay anyway. It's not 4every1

5. Joseph O Polanco profile image39

Thank you for that but I still don't see how something beneficial could be harmful to gays looking to go straight. Please clarify.

6. jlpark profile image86

If they choose to undertake it, perhaps not. Most are forced to undertake it. Which is y it's not 4 every1. Even the founder of Exodus a well known conversion therapy provider, has apologised for the harm his company caused. Suicide is harm.

working