jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

If you and spouse/partner have your own checking accounts, how does this work ou

1. brakel2 profile image82
    brakel2posted 2 years ago

If you and spouse/partner have your own checking accounts, how does this work out for you?

Some couples have problems with joint checking accounts and take out their own, some with both names on the accounts.

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

Wonderfully!
    We've never had a single argument over money. In fact we agreed a long-time ago to pay certain bills as our own responsibility. We buy groceries as we need them for the household and so on. We each pay for our own car repairs, gas, and car registrations.
    When either of us treats the other for a special dinner or event it really feels like we are treating one another!
    On the other hand if all our money was tied up in joint accounts I believe there would be opportunities to be resentful over how one person may be spending money. There might even be "surprises" when one person goes to the ATM and or attempts to make a purchase and learns there isn't enough money to cover a purchase.
    There is no "right" or "wrong" way for a couple to handle their finances. Some people feel that it's best to joint everything.
    Whatever works for you!

brakel2posted 2 years agoin reply to this

You two are right in cinque. Congratulations. Good financial planning.

3. lions44 profile image99
    lions44posted 2 years ago

Best thing ever. Separate bank accounts, like separate bathrooms, make for a very happy marriage.  Great question.

Separate accounts seem to be the way to go.

4. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

yes, i have two accounts my own money under two names, If i want to withdraw, my hubby wouldn't let me and ask too many questions. It is better to have one name under one account. Better don't join account

Hi Peachy  It is great that you have separate accounts. That happened to me that one account caused problems and questions.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

Technically my wife and I have only one checking account, but we have separate savings accounts. I kept mine after we got together and it has served as a good way to keep savings separate from checking (since we literally can't see it when making payments out of checking). I honestly think we would have spent through most of our money if we hadn't kept this system of separate savings.

Commendable that you can manage with one checking account. It is difficult for some couples.

working