I Love To Help Others So Why Dont They Help Themselves

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 13 years ago

As many of you know I do spend countless hours helping others with some advice on how to make money online.  At least I share a bit about how I do it.

These conversations are usually spawned from people emailing me and asking for help.

Well it seems that as of late people are asking but when I answer they dont even respond saying thank you or anything.

I do not mind helping but I hate having my time wasted.  Every minute wasted on an email is a minute I can never, never have back.

This is just me venting a bit.

Nothing has changed.  I will still help people if it is what they want.  But please understand that time is even more important than money.

Thanks for listening

Dale

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well i can't speak for everyone else here, but i wanted to say thanks for promoting some of my hubs on your blogs.  that really helped me out a lot in gaining some more traffic.  although im still a long ways to go before i collect my first paycheck from google, at least im a helluva a lot more closer to it than i was before you helped me out.  therefore, i owe you a huge debt of gratitude. thanks so much for the support.

2. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Dale,

The art of thanking and acknowledging that you've received help from someone is being lost. 

I've encountered the same thing.  I don't mind helping, but some feedback would be nice.  I understand where you're coming from.

For you,

Thank you Dale, for helping me.  When you posted my hub on your blog, I received views from your efforts and many supportive comments.

Also, thanks for helping to make this a better community and always emminating hub-love. 

Enjoy your weekend!

1. SpanStar profile image59
      SpanStarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dale people do have a problem with thanking others and I attribute that to being in a land of plenty.  We take things for grant now because we have so much, take for example 40 years ago if someone were to put together a blanket or pillowcase for a friend, neighbor we would be so appreciative but today we can walk into our store of choice and buy either at a reasonable price so the effort one made at home does amount to much these days and that's really sad because down the ground they made need something and someone won't have time for them.

People today need to realize that arogances is not a trait we need in this society but just try and get that idea across.  As great as Jesus was with showing us how to live we are still living with arogance.

3. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 13 years ago

You know I could even live without the thanks.  People ask me to help, I give them a long email telling them where to start and how to make their next move and they never get back to me.  At least say something so I know you at least took the time to read my advice.

I am going to be a lot more careful in the future and try qualifying people a little more before committing time and effort.

Thanks for the responses. 

Dale

4. wildorangeflower profile image60
    wildorangeflowerposted 13 years ago

being grateful is a good virtue and really appreciating somebody's time is good, this is hard to do these days, I mean giving feedback and all. Like they say wam bum thank you Mam, am I correct.
    I simple thank you will do the magic and always give feedback.

5. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Maybe it's just me, but I can't even imagine e.mailing someone and asking for help (unless, maybe, there's a conversation somewhere, and one person says, "write me if I can help").  I think it may be case of e.mails being a little too easy to send off on an impulse (and then people may have moved on to the next thing).  I think if I had too much of that going on, the extent I'd help would be to find them a link to whatever they're they're e.mailing about and e.mail them back a one- or two- liner.   hmm

6. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

That's why I no longer provide contact email info or comments boxes (they started putting their requests for help there after I shut off emails).

Dale, 99.5% of what people need to succed on HP is proivded in the Help section of HP or on hubs already written by others. I finally came to the realization that if you're going to be successful online then you have to be able to do your own research and learn on your own. Even now I have been known to sit up almost all night figuring something out.

Most of the questions on HP are because people can't be bothered to read the TOS or detailed instructions given elsewhere.

1. rmcrayne profile image92
      rmcrayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So true.  People don't want to do their homework.  Or they want an easy answer, and repeatedly do not seem to believe those that correctly say this is not a quick or easy business.  It’s like when people want to lose weight.  They don’t want to hear ‘sensible diet and exercise’.  They continue searching for the quick and easy fix, as though the rest of us are just being mean and withholding the magic bullet.

2. Dale Mazurek profile image62
      Dale Mazurekposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am starting to think you are so right.  I need to put into dollars and cents what time I have used and I probably wont be very happy.

Thanks for the advice Nelle, always a pleasure talking with you

Dale

3. camlo profile image85
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're right. No matter where I am on the Web, or anywhere else in life, half the fun is finding the answers for myself, and we learn much more along the way by doing so.

7. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Dale,

Nothing wrong with having a vent every now and again. With communication and helping others, especially the best intentions from others is not always apparent or seen.

As Nelle above me commented, most people are lazy, and want answers straight away, and want to turn a nickel over pretty fast. No surprise Nelle has turned off her ways to be contacted.

Well, tough love is needed from time to time. You may get questions from people, you may not respond the first time and they may respond back a second time with, you didn't answer me, why?

I don't have a problem with helping others myself, the problem I have is I don't have enough time in the world to spoon feed, each and every response I am asked to answer. If people get annoyed or upset over that fact, tough sh*t, I am not here for their entertainment.

I have a million questions that I can ask of the veteran Hubbers. But I am yet to ACTUALLY ask them a single question.

I personally like to try and figure these things on my own. I know good things come through working smart, hard, and constantly learning and trying different things and see what happens. And it takes time, lots and lots of time.

If your helping people and they don't respond back Dale, concentrate on those who are spending the time communicating with you, and forget the others.

8. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

If I have a question that can't be answered by existing hubs or forum threads, then I'd rather post it in the forum here than ask an individual hubber via private email.  At least then it gives people the choice of whether they want to reply or not, and if they do reply, then the answer will help other people as well as me.

9. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

Dale, do you have any whiteout I can borrow for my scribbles big_smile thank you in advance! smile

10. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

you've been helpful to so many of us through the forums. personally, I think that's the most time-efficient way to help or within hubs. especially if people you're helping through personal email aren't even thanking you, that's really a shame.

as Nelle said, so much is answered within the site itself.
    HP does an amazing job of instructing the members here. I noticed in the last HP Weekly, there is now a HP tutorial youtube channel. http://www.youtube.com/hubpageshelp

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just noticed that on Youtube now, thanks for sharing Rebekah.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)