jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

What are some good things to say to someone when they know they're going to die?

1. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 2 years ago

What are some good things to say to someone when they know they're going to die?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7892153_f260.jpg

2. Austinstar profile image88
    Austinstarposted 2 years ago

I nearly died summer of 2014. I had a cat bite that turned septic (blood poisoning) and I was in intensive care and on every anti-biotic known to man. I am an atheist and I actually expected to die, hopefully, in my sleep on morphine. But I kept waking up.
    No, I did not grasp at religion. I doubt that anybody "prayed" for me, nor did I expect them to. I still firmly believe that there is no god and this life is the only one we have.
    But that being said, the things I liked hearing were:
    1. Can I help you take a shower?
    2. Do you want some powder to ease the bed rashes?
    3. What would you like to eat or drink?
    4. Do you need anything?
    5. If you want some company, just ring the buzzer. If not, I'll let you rest.
    6. If you are still in pain, I can call the dr. to get you more pain medication.
    7. Don't be shy to ask for attention or help for anything at all.
    So, mostly, I just wanted to be warm, clean and comfortable. If it is my turn to die, then let me do so as comfortable as possible.
    What I didn't want to hear:
    1. You're going to be fine. - While it was true, and I value truth, it would have sounded fake to me at the time.
    2. I still didn't want to hear anything about god or Jesus or prayer. That is the most non-helpful thing an atheist can hear about. Might be fine for theists, but not for me. I want intelligent medical help while i think I might be dying, not platitudes and "magic".
    BTW - Thanks again to all who helped me that week at Cedar Park Regional Hospital - You guys were the best! Special thanks to my nurses, aides, and Dr. Guerra.

1. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Really?  It would do you good to hear about prayer and Jesus.  Because that affects your eternity.  We spend such a short amount of time here on Earth, but eternity is forever.  It is out of love that one would say that to you.

2. Michaela Osiecki profile image78
      Michaela Osieckiposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I would be REALLY annoyed, as someone with my own religion, to have Jesus Christ pushed at me when I just want a bit of peace.

3. Austinstar profile image88
      Austinstarposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Michael. The ddying process is as natural as the birthing process. My atomic makeup is already eternal, always was, and always will be. Christians can keep their jesus.

4. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
      lisasuniquevoiceposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Austinstar,
      Thank you for your answer. I like the part about you wanting to be warm, clean, and comfortable. That's what I would want in this situation.
      Lisa

3. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 2 years ago

"Have you accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as your savior?  If not, let me tell you about Him."

1. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
      lisasuniquevoiceposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Lolita,
      That seems like a good idea especially if you want to reassure the person with talk of an afterlife.
      Thanks,
      Lisa

working