Conflict: Do you think that it is 10% opinion and 90% tone of voice?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. profile image0
    threekeysposted 7 years ago

Conflict: Do you think that it is 10% opinion and 90% tone of voice?

What are your thoughts or experiences here?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13207835_f260.jpg

2. manatita44 profile image72
    manatita44posted 7 years ago

My Teacher has a beautiful aphorism that describes this. Alas! my Sweet, I may not find it. Conflict happens when we see things in one way and someone else sees it in a different way. This is very common among Christian to Christian and other Faiths here on Hub Pages.

In fact, it colours the page with a dark energy, which the sensitive can feel quite easily, thereby destroying the Love which it probably set out to instill in the first place.

From a practical standpoint, you are mostly correct. Large organisations have courses in Conflict Resolution, Customer Care and more recently Mindfulness, geared to teaching about body language and how to diffuse a situation by tone, approach, empathy and so forth. Works.

This brings me back to Spirituality, which I don't talk about so much now, but the point is that individuals go on these course and they help for a while, but character is character. Many are back to their old self within a very short time. What's needed is 'inner work.' and for that we need to be humble and accept that some help is needed.

Actually, it is opinions that lead to conflict: My religion is the only one or better than yours; this patch of land was originally mine and you seized it; I am the real indigenous person and not you; I may be black but I have rights too.... there are so many variations! You are not sharing the oil or wealth equally, this is an injustice!

I could name hundreds! So this in itself tells us, that the solution is the way of reconciliation and brotherly Love. But if you told me that this is not easy, I'll be the first to agree with you. Syria has had a war for such a long time!

I do not usually go down that road, but if you look carefully, behind the propaganda, most want a piece of the action. All is not always black and white and can be quite complex, in fact. So many interested parties involved!

But yes, in a work situation, on a microcosmic level, practical application of short-term measures: tone of voice, support, retreat, giving way, etc., can and do help. Much Love, ThreeKeys.

Oh! I wrote another poem on my Country for you. A sweeter one. Drop me a line on life, if you like, your questions indicate some of the modern strife going on today. Not easy. You have my full concern.

1. profile image0
      threekeysposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Life is ambigous and multilayered. Like you expressed manitita, there can be many facets to deal with in a situaiton.
      Yes I look forward to reading your new poem about your homeland

3. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 7 years ago

I believe that it's tone of voice. In fact, one of my favorite lines from just about my favorite book has to do with exactly that sentiment. The book is The Virginian and the line is "When you call me that, smile." The story is told by a man who has gone out west to visit the owner of the ranch that the Virginian works for and the Virginian was sent to the train station to pick him up. While in town he observes the Virginian and his best friend horsing around and the friend called the Virginian an SOB. They both laughed and continued with whatever they were doing. A while later when the Virginian was in a poker game that included Trampas, the evil villain of the story, and he called the Virginian the same thing the result was completely different...

"The Virginian's pistol came out, and his hand lay on the table, holding it unaimed. And with a voice as gentle as ever, the voice that sounded almost like a caress, but drawling a very little more than usual, so that there was almost a space between each word, he issued his orders to the man Trampas:  'When you call me that, smile!' "

Definitely tone of voice...

1. profile image0

I know someone whose tone of voice is felt and commands action rather than the words he uses.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image60
      TessSchlesingerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

While I think tone of voice contributes, it's not 90%.

3. profile image0

These are just one set of statistics. You know with stats....The man I mentioned? It may not be 90% literally but the use of his tone is high and it is used to bark you to attention and command.

4. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13208154_f260.jpg

How you say something is often more important to people than what you say. The wrong attitude or vibe shuts people down right away or keeps them from (listening) to your point of view.
    It's always best to take into account the other person's core belief system, personality, and how they have behaved in the past when they get bad news, criticized, or are disagreed with.
    There is no "one size fits all" approach to dealing with people.
    You may have to "edit" your response. Timing is also a key factor!
    Keep in mind (what your goal is) when you approach them.
    Do you want their cooperation? or to belittle/insult them?
    It's so easy to fall into an ego trap of wanting to show someone up!

1. profile image0

All great points. I agree with you. And it is a working progress for probably  most of us.

5. TessSchlesinger profile image60
    TessSchlesingerposted 7 years ago

Depends on who you are talking to. If you are talking to someone who interprets others based on their feelings, then they will interpret what you say by how you say it. If you are talking to someone who bases evaluation on meaning of words (i.e. me), then they will base interpretation of what is meant on what is said, not the way it is said. People are different.

1. profile image0

Hi Tess. Yes it just depends on the person. Its just like when someone feels as if they are loved or not. Some people need to hear the words "I love you" often. Some need acts of service while others need gifts now and again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)