jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Why Would A Person Repeat Stories if No Dementia is Present?

1. ptosis profile image82
    ptosisposted 15 months ago

Why Would A Person Repeat Stories if No Dementia is Present?

Have you ever wondered why people repeat the same thing over and over again? Why would a person twist any conversation into whatever they are OCD'ing about? Or is this just an “oppositional conversational style” of communicating? Or am I being patronized?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13268656_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 15 months ago

Most of the time when a story is repeated it's to a new audience. Unfortunately if you know the story teller well then you've probably heard the story before. For you it's a repeat and probably an annoyance but for the others in the group it's a new story. Why read a book more than once? Or see a movie more than once? I do both and still enjoy the stories.

3. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 15 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13269609_f260.jpg

Usually if someone feels the need to repeat something over and over again it's because they really don't believe the listener is comprehending whatever they are saying. In some sales courses they suggest repeating what the "prospect" has said.
    "So, If I understand you correctly what you said was.....etc"
    Socially that type of conversation tactic would be very odd. Nevertheless this is commonly done as part of "active listening".
    Having said that before you can determine whether or not they are patronizing you I think you have to observe if they only do it with (you) or if they seem to do it with everyone.
    If it's {just you} they may be patronizing you. Inferring you're "slow".
    On the other hand if they do it to everyone its probably just their way. Some people are narcissistic enough to believe they're the smartest person in any room.

1. ptosis profile image82
      ptosisposted 15 months agoin reply to this

good advice: just me or everyone? smile

4. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 15 months ago

People like propaganda and repeating it - it confirms their biases as well as shields them personally from criticism.
    That's why social justice warriors call facts that pierce their "narrative" hate facts. Their ideology is so holy that contrary info is a crime. It is almost but not quite as bad as Muslims considering criticism of their faith a basis for killing someone.

working