jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (17 posts)

Are women to obey their husbands?

1. Leaderofmany profile image60
    Leaderofmanyposted 5 years ago

The bible instructs wives to obey their husbands is this true for today's society?

1. recommend1 profile image66
      recommend1posted 5 years agoin reply to this

No - but it does go some way to explaining why some men are drawn to christianity big_smile

Respect is earned by the recipient not given by some other entity, real or imagined.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image66
        prettydarkhorseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree, respect should be earned, and marriage is a work in progress. Plus of course you should not marry someone if you can't respect them.

2. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Had the bible been written by women, it would be a WHOLE different story! big_smile

3. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 5 years agoin reply to this

All the more reason to just live with the barstewards and just kick them out when they annoy you.

Don't ever get married, girls, when men have this attitude.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image66
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

respect the husbands wishes

3. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

No no and no. respect has to be earned and worked at by both sides. According to the 'biblical' theory, men are worth more than women.

Doesn't work. We are equal, we don't 'obey'. We respect when someone is worth respecting, and don't, when they're not.

4. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

Man, I hope not. If we're supposed to I'm living way outside of the law.

5. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 5 years ago

I'll check with my wife and get back to you...

6. MelissaBarrett profile image60
    MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago

I obey every order that my current husband gives me.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The definitive word being 'current' !

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
        MelissaBarrettposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yep, and if he ever gives me orders he will join the ex-husbands society.
        That's how we have gotten around the fundie marries liberal thing... I promise to obey his every order and he promises not to give me orders.

7. Alecia Murphy profile image83
    Alecia Murphyposted 5 years ago

No, women and men are each other's helpmates. They compliment each other. And while one might have the power over the other in certain situations, nobody has absolute control.

8. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 5 years ago

It's reciprocal (at least at my house)

9. Seek-n-Find profile image86
    Seek-n-Findposted 5 years ago

All things should be looked at in context--what else is said about marriage? And what was the culture?  And who was the author writing to and why?  The Bible also says for husbands to love their wives--to cherish them--to honor them--to love them as the weaker vessel (and by weaker vessel the words actually mean "precious, like a vase").  What is love?  Love is gentle, kind, patient, compassionate, does not keep a record of wrongs, rejoices in good, not evil, is not jealous, does not boast, is not selfish, and never gives up!  And if the man does not love his wife this way, that chapter also says his prayers may be hindered.  So--in that context--it would be easy to submit to my husband if he is loving me like that because he has my best interests in mind, not his!  So when he says, "Honey, you are working too hard, let me make dinner for you and then give you a massage," I can obey that order!

10. LookingForWalden profile image60
    LookingForWaldenposted 5 years ago

I wish. I just do whatever she wants because she can go longer without.... Cuddling. Lol

1. AshtonFirefly profile image81
      AshtonFireflyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

LOL.

working