Say Yes To Life profile image 82

What REALLY defines a cult?

I'm suffering PTSD because nearly 20 years ago I joined a cult without knowing it, and my life was put in danger as a result. Their belief system was not strange, but they did not practice what they preached, yet threatened me with eternal hell if I chose to leave. They also taught modes of living that did not help me in this life, so how was it supposed to help me in the next? It wasn't until they encouraged my 16 year old niece to drop out of high school that I realized it was a cult. Isn't religion supposed to help people live the best life possible here? Are those that don't, cults?

Lady Guinevere profile image61

Best Answer Debra Allen (Lady Guinevere) says

• Say Yes To Life profile image

Yoleen Lucas (Say Yes To Life) 4 years ago

Thanks for the article; it was very interesting! The cult I was in fit 6 of those 10 descriptions. Another disturbing thought; it was in the "good old days", when people were more religious, when the US committed atrocities against the Natives...

Freeway Flyer profile image91

Paul Swendson (Freeway Flyer) says

• Say Yes To Life profile image

It's true that social isolation is a common tactic cults use. They also get them to not trust their judgment. The ultimate definition though is threatening members with eternal hell and damnation if they ask too many questions or try to leave.

MickS profile image73

MickS says

• Say Yes To Life profile image

"A congregation that craves a leadership" - these are definitely prototypes of those that join cults! That's why cults proliferate during hard economic times and social upheaval. Both were happening to me at the time.

Rayne123 says

• Say Yes To Life profile image

Please post the link to the video. Also be aware that people don't deliberately CHOOSE to join cults.They do because it meets their needs. We all know to avoid the outrageous, like child molestation, so cults don't show that until it's too late.