What if?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (32 posts)
  1. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 11 years ago

Atheist experiences the power of God, after he asks, "what if??"

http://youtu.be/s0F5F4hp3mY

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I didn't bother to watch the entire thing, but the main thrust of what I DID see is that a NDE is "medically inexplicable" or just "inexplicable".

Is that why you determine that it is the "power of God" operating?  Because you have no other explanation, and so will create one that agrees with your philosophy?

This is perhaps the greatest logical failure of the believer (in spite of the video claiming it is a logical reason) - "I don't understand the reason, you don't understand the reason, no one really understands the reason (especially if we deny any other possibilities) so it has to be God".  A complete and total failure of logic - ignorance does not prove anything except ignorance.  Declaring ignorance of any other reason does not lead to a logical conclusion of God - it leads to the conclusion that we don't know.  Nothing else.

aka-djposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The video in fact asks you watch to the end.

You probably missed the main part.

I can't make you watch it, but then you are also guilty of doing what you accuse me of.
        Feeding your own bias.

1. heatblast92 profile image65
          heatblast92posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, the video's certainly not winning an Emmy Award any time from now, so don't blame him. smile

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
          A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL! You mean at the end where they state that Hell will be filled with atheists and that we MUST believe in the Bible... or else. Hilarious.

1. aguasilver profile image71
            aguasilverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep, wouldn't that be hilarious, if it's correct, I guess the laughter and joy amongst the inhabitants would be extreme!

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
              A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, while the rest of them extremely laugh in Islamic hell.

2. profile image52
            tosaveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes that is true, though atheists would not be the only ones there.

2. aguasilver profile image71

Yeah, Having just watched the WHOLE video, I can easily see why you clicked out early.

Pity.

2. Titen-Sxull profile image71
      Titen-Sxullposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The power of which God? There are many deities out there and there are many claims, throughout the millenia, of those who interact with said gods. Odysseus wrestled with the cyclopean son of Poseidon, Athena, a goddess, directly helps and interacts with him on several occasions. Mythology, and indeed human history, is filled with encounters with the gods or the power thereof.

Now to the video itself. This man acts as if atheists NEVER ask "what if" they are wrong. As a former Christian (former creationist no less) it would be absurd to suggest that I, or the vast majority of atheists, have never considered the possibility that they are wrong. What this man is talking about is little more than a glorified death-bed version of Pascal's Wager, where, in the delirium and fear of approaching death, he wants to hedge his bets. This is far from a rational argument, in fact I can't think of a time when a human being is MORE likely to be irrational than during death or near-death.

And of course if the last thing on your mind as you fade from life is thoughts of "what if there's a heaven and hell" than your chemically saturated half-dead brain is going to produce near-death experiences. Dreams can be quite vivid, feel quite real, and one can easily assume that those final thoughts before death, that last "dream" state before the brain can no longer function, must be one hell of a ride.

There is no evidence here, no proof, and no good argument for the existence of God in any of what this man says or what he "experienced". As someone who once believed he was "filled with the holy ghost" and "spoke in the tongues of angels" I can say that religion produces some seemingly profound feelings, but so do dreams, music, movies, poetry, etc.

So tell me, what makes people's Near death descents into the underworld or the heavens any more real than Odysseus' journey to the underworld?

If I remember correctly, these NDA experiences happen AFTER the brain has shown as 'flatline' i.e. the brain is no longer functioning, which would mean the ONLY thing that could be functioning whilst 'dead' would be the spirit and/or soul prior to departure.

Pleased to see that you have "considered the possibility that you are wrong".... keep considering.

1. Titen-Sxull profile image71
          Titen-Sxullposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So what is more likely? That there IS some residual activity in the brain even after primary brain-function as ceased. Or that someone's spirit, a non-physical aspect of themselves which has never been properly defined, let alone proven scientifically, is preparing to exit the brain/body in order to visit dead relatives, float down a brilliant tunnel, or haunt an attic somewhere?

Please keep in mind that in the case of NDE's the people end up alive, hence the NEAR-death part. Thus far we have no examples of a FULL DEATH experience, as in someone who has fully died, their spirit as left their body and THEN they've come back to life months or years later. We don't have dead people coming back to life to share stories of the afterlife, we have people coming near to death to tell stories of their final thoughts, at least that seems far more likely to me.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You do not remember correctly.  They occur during disordered neural activity.  A brain state where hallucinations are commonly experienced.

If someone has a "vision" that changes their life, that's fine.  I don't see what it has to do with me or objective reality. 

Belief in God requires faith not facts.  It is subjective, not objective.

Guess I was wrong, although the doctor explains about 1.15 seconds in that the brain closes down 10 seconds after the heart stops.... but hey, I'm no doctor and in any case, as you say, it's a faith thing....

1. psycheskinner profile image83
              psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The brain stops meaningfully integrating experiences in the cortex in that time.  But disorganized activity can go for minutes.

Kinda like a decapitated body of a male mantis still engaged and exerting itself in intercourse with its partner.

Pardon the poor analogy here. :\

2. aka-dj profile image65

It appears you did not watch the video.
                An NDE expert speaks about a commonality amongst those who have the experience that mere medical/drug related explanations do not fit.
                Something of a different nature (spiritual) is happening.

Interesting that many of you see this as a religious/faith issue, and not a scientific experience.
                Yet, the researchers are applying scientific method to find explanations for NDEs.
                Why is that?

I don't know; maybe it's got something to do with how the video seems so excessively tailored to threaten us lowly atheists with eternal punishment? smile

If this is how what's-his-face-up-there intends to get us to believe in him or face the pits of hell, through infrequent incidents of a vaguely understood phenomenon, well, he's got a lot to work on his presentation skills.

Looks to me like He'd be wasting His time on you.
                    You seem like a hard core case, having put yourself beyond reach.

I see you are not alone, either. You are in "good" company. sad

3. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So do Near Death Experiences provide irrefutable evidence that God, through His son Jesus Christ, is the creator of the universe, and that the bible is His inerrant document, by which we should live our lives?

Are you really trying to find out what causes NDE's, or are you simply trying to jump to a vacuous conclusion that religious faith, which has been thoroughly debunked, has validity???

Thank you

Apparently it does for those who experienced it... guess they should know better than we do?

1. getitrite profile image72

I totally disagree.  Some people suffer from delusion, and actually know nothing about what is truly happening, yet assert their delusions as knowledge.

Yep, I can agree there to a degree, I've seen that with some folk who had no idea they were being guided by dark spirits manifesting as 'angels of light', or even totally unaware that they were being controlled.

On the other hand, it seems all these former atheists and scientists only become deluded once they experience NDE.... what would it take to change your mind and allow yourself to be deluded after having an NDE,

I mean you are one of our more virulent secularists here, so if you had that NDE, would you immediately dismiss it as a chemically induced delusion?

2. pisean282311 profile image62
            pisean282311posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@getitrite i agree from jesus to muhammad most had that delusions...

Then subsequent generations sadly mistake these delusions for facts, and mindlessly, try to live a life with the delusions of a long dead madman as the ultimate guide...IN THE 21ST CENTURY, NO DOUBT!

1. pisean282311 profile image62
                pisean282311posted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol ...ya thats unfortunate but that is what is so...

2. heatblast92 profile image65
    heatblast92posted 11 years ago

The fear of death is inherent in all of us, an element whoever wrote the Bible seems fond of appealing to. One man's experience does not equate to fact, however true it is to him. If embracing what's-his-face as lord and savior provides the necessary frame of mind for a man to accept death, embrace him by all means, even if it means flying in the face of long-held beliefs. It also goes to prove a point held against religion by Richard Dawkins in his documentary, the God Delusion: give the religious an opening of irregularity, a miracle if you will, and they'll crowd around it as further enforcement for their beliefs.

As the first poster stated, something that is found inexplicable... simply remains inexplicable. (see near death experience) There is still much to learn about the human mind and its inner workings, more so in your case. Its complexity and whatever it does that eludes scientific explanation should not be attributed to a higher being, except to the fact that it is simply more awesome than science. So, yes, I'd stick to the only logical explanation concerning the woman's hearing the screaming of tortured souls from supposedly hell, that she is merely influence of the mind.

Also whoever posted the video apparently seems to have a terrible sense of aesthetics in making videos, though who am I to patronize someone who fancies subtitling videos with biblical quotes? The last comment on false gods, so do you think people outside your religion are capable of experiencing near death experiences as well? wink

3. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 11 years ago

It surprises me (not really) how a topic such as this rarely gets lots of comments.

Could it be that it touches the wrong nerve in people?
    Could it be that you all really question your "faith" in nothing, when something like this topic confronts it?
    Just curious!

It surprises me (not really) how overly religious people easily rile themselves up over such a statement as 'God is not great', and their immediate reaction to it is threats of death, damnation and whatever forms of discomfort they could think of at the moment.

Silence does not necessarily translate to a lack of confidence in one's beliefs. It more often than not simply means letting you dwell in that self righteous attitude of yours while sparing ourselves the need to argue on philosophical trivialities as such. Or it could also mean we're a bit enjoying ourselves on other threads. smile

4. Linda Cassini profile image59
    Linda Cassiniposted 11 years ago

Meet Me on the "other" side and I'll tell you then..hmmm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)