Atheists are closer to God than your average Christian

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (55 posts)
  1. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 11 years ago

Especially the vocal ones, like the ones we all know on HP.

Atheism is just a stage you go through before you truly find God. That's one of the reasons I love you guys so much.

1. Disappearinghead profile image59
      Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Got any popcorn while I watch this one pad out?

janesixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know I'm always half joking on here. But only half. I had this insight today, gotta follow my Wyrd.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Tell that to Christopher Hitchens...

I don't know who that is.

3. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's really insulting to an atheist who wouldn't want anything to do with such a vicious and malevolent God.

Kinda like religion is a stage you go through before you truly find reality?

The Bible God is just someone's imagination. Who knows what he is truly like?

2. getitrite profile image71
    getitriteposted 11 years ago

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp270/EricV1/troll.jpg

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80

Sorry, I forgot smile

I'm not a troll. You just don't like what I have to say. Get over it.

1. getitrite profile image71
          getitriteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What you have to say is an absurd opinion, based purely on conjecture  And there is also an implication of superiority in that you suggest that the atheist is at an inferior stage of development, as opposed to silly adults, believing in whimsical nonsense.  How ridiculous.

I never said it was anything but my opinion. In fact, I said it was insight.

So just show us where god is, and then, case closed.  Thanks.

lol

I really don't care that you don't believe in God. That's your loss.

I don't have to prove anything. You don't like it, stay out of religious forums. Case closed.

Yet you say that atheist have not found this god....a god that you don't even have evidence for, nor do you feel obligated to provide any evidence for.   Yeah...makes perfect sense.  lol

Why?  So that dishonest people can go unchallenged?

I'm dishonest because I believe in God and don't have proof? That's logic for you.

If I were to claim proof, that would be dishonesty.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
                  psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You aren't in a religion-specific forum. The title includes an "and".

Do you actually have something usful to add to this discussion, psychskinner?

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80

I didn't call you a troll.

You're right. You just insinuated it.

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

Well, he'd better get cracking, then - I don't have all that many years left!

Although, come to think of it, it does seem rather common that as people age into their senior years, and the fact of their mortality is driven home with a sledge hammer, that their "conversion" becomes more probably. 

Fear of death does that, I guess, although I'm not sure that it's "finding God" as much as allaying that fear...

Unless of course you believe in reincarnation.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

True.  I haven't seen too many free souls floating around, looking for a vacant body, though, so that belief is also as foreign as that of God.

2. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed that as people age they can go either way. The most vocal atheists are usually the older farts, just as the most irritating evangelical is usually the old guy who changed his tune. Advanced age appears to make people think they know what they are talking about. Even if no one agrees with them.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, yes!  We old geezers know everything there is to know. smile

Funny things is, though, that there is at least some truth to it.  I've had my nose rubbed into disagreeable facts often enough to know the world isn't as I think it should be - you youngsters all to often live in a fantasy world that way.

1. profile image0

Are you a geezer? I was actually thinking about two men I know and Mark Knowles. And Qwark. I think that was his name. He was a funny old man.

But, so you know. I don't consider you to be a vocal atheist. You are genuinely interested and interesting. It isn't as if you have an axe to grind or really care, past a point.

4. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

There are 2 70 something year old atheists on here that I know of. I think maybe you're god forgot to move them to that next stage.

Perhaps it takes more than one lifetime.

5. getitrite profile image71
    getitriteposted 11 years ago

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff86/donvader88/Myspace%20stuff/Logic.jpg

I didn't claim to possess logic. I choose to believe without it.

You can insult me all you want, all is fair in love, war, and religious debates baby.

1. psycheskinner profile image83

I think wanting to discuss something but rejecting the use of logic = troll.

Think what you want.

The use of logic as opposed to intuition is what I'm getting at.

I choose to let God guide me.

1. profile image0

You're starting to scare me there, janesix. Is there a point to the madness today? smile

Why? Because I have different opinions from most people?

It doesn't bother me to make people uncomfortable with my beliefs.

I know things that most people don't.

I don't think that is the source of the discomfort. Do you really think anyone gets up, reads this forum and changes their religion?

2. profile image0

Tell us something most people don't know. Something really interesting.

The universe runs on sexual energy. That's at least interesting to me.

1. profile image0
                    Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Now tell me something *I don't know. wink

2. profile image0

Tell me you are joking. smile If not, whose sexual energy? Ours?

2. getitrite profile image71

Here we go again.  A god, that you can't prove exists, is guiding you?  Could you please explain to us godless losers just how that works?  Fair?  Thanks.

No, I have no idea how it works.

2. profile image0

You're obviously not a loser... we are basically the same, are we not? Being human.
              Again, I wrote a hub called Ive heard the voice of God if you want personal answers to how God leads some of His followers. Beyond personal answers, the Bible of course is full of answers to that specific question.

6. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

It's interesting that not having something tangible makes some think logic was not used to come to the conclusion that there is a Superior Being.
    In trying to answer why I believe that God is... I wrote a hub called "Ive heard the voice of God."

There are so many things that contribute to why we believe and what we believe and if you do not share the same experience as someone else, you are likely not to have the same belief system they do. This should not allow room for a lack of respect or kindness on either side imo. Either you truly seek to know why someone believes what they do, or you are only taking the opportunity to insult them for whatever that gains you.

My intention wasn't to insult.

Most Christians, Muslims etc that I've run across believe blindly, for no real reason, mostly out of fear or whatnot.

Athiest seem to reject God, which seems to me to be what happens right before a true religious breakthough.

"Reject" is not a synonym for "not accept".  Unless you think my goldfish is an atheist.  Or a native of some far off land who never met a missionary is an atheist etc.

2. profile image0

I didn't mean you specifically... I simply meant when ppl have this discussion, both sides tend to stop listening and start flinging the  insults. Ppl should actually listen to one another and then maybe assume they do not have ultimate knowledge. As I said, I do believe in God, fully and completely, but there are things I don't know and I'd be a fool to pretend I had no lack. Humility is hugely important when learning.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)