As a Christian, do you think of atheists and agnostics as lesser people ? Pleas

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (43 posts)
  1. austinhealy profile image73
    austinhealyposted 8 years ago

As a Christian, do you think of atheists and agnostics as lesser people ?  Please care to elaborate.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7280932_f260.jpg

2. Jesse Mugnier profile image59
    Jesse Mugnierposted 8 years ago

As an agnostic I cannot answer you, but I am following this question because I am really curious what results you find. Great question!

1. lone77star profile image82
      lone77starposted 8 years agoin reply to this

And, I've noticed, a great seeker of wisdom. Bless you!

2. austinhealy profile image73
      austinhealyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Jesse for being here and witness the debate. I am really curious too even though I don't expect the atheists or agnostics usual bashers to come out.
      But we'll see

3. Jesse Mugnier profile image59
      Jesse Mugnierposted 8 years agoin reply to this

@lone77star - Your kind words motivate me. Thank you smile
      @austinhealy - I'm sure they will come sooner or later. I'm excited big_smile

3. Attikos profile image81
    Attikosposted 8 years ago

No, belief is entirely up to the individual. That someone may hold basic views different from my own has nothing to do with whether or not he is a friend or a good person.

What is a lesser category of human is the one made up of people who become aggressively hostile toward those who hold different beliefs. Belittling those who dissent from one's own views merely because they do, and classifying them as inferior in order to explain to yourself how that could possibly occur, is a clear sign of residence a few steps down the quality scale.

Attikos, thank your for voicing your opinion with which, I have to say, I agree entirely. It's very nice to enjoy a constructive debate without (so far!) anybody getting out the heavy artillery

4. snapbackbetty profile image65
    snapbackbettyposted 8 years ago

I don't think of them as lesser people. They were created the same way I was. As a Christian, I think you shouldn't look at anyone as a "lesser person" period. All people are created equal and have the right to believe in whatever they choose.

snapbackbetty, thnaks for being here and participating. I don't consider myself a Christian,but, like you, I try to respect everybody. I hate to say this, but there are a few so called Christians here on HP who think they are better than everybody

5. workingmomwm profile image83
    workingmomwmposted 8 years ago

No, of course not. We're all equal in God's eyes. Why would I presume to consider anyone "lesser" than I am just because of what they believe?

God sent His Son to die for the sins of all us...even those that won't believe. Just because you believe (or don't), it doesn't make you any better or worse than anyone else.  It just means you've exercised your free will and made a different choice than someone else.

1. ro-jo-yo profile image84
      ro-jo-yoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Matthew 5:19 KJV
      Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of h

2. austinhealy profile image73

Thank you workingmomwm, for participating in this debate. I know that God created all of us as equals, but the question is not about God directly, it is about some of his followers who think non believers are not as good as they are.

3. workingmomwm profile image83
      workingmomwmposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Austin: But you asked if I, as a Christian, consider atheists and agnostics to be lesser people. And then you asked for me to elaborate. I don't, and that's my reasoning for the way I feel, and my reasoning has everything to do with God. Sorry.

4. austinhealy profile image73

workingmomwm, sorry if my comment sounded abrupt, it wasn't intended that way, and I do understand and respect that your reasoning in life is guided by God

6. ro-jo-yo profile image84
    ro-jo-yoposted 8 years ago

Not a Christian. But as a person that believes and reads the bible, I will quote the bible that maybe best describes the consequence of being atheist or  agnostic.
    5 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. 16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. 17 Because thou sayest , I am rich, and increased with goods , and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

1. profile image53
      xaminedlifeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Actually, these verses (Revelation 3:15-17) describe the consequences of those in a church who believe they have it all together when, in reality, they are in a desperate condition.

2. Jesse Mugnier profile image59

Exactly why religion are you? If you read the bible and believe in it...?

3. austinhealy profile image73

Thank you ro-jo-yo. Quoting the bible to a non Christian is like Colin Powell waving a vile of Saddam Hussein's alleged poison on national TV. Some will believe it, some won't. In the end we still don't know where the truth is.

4. ro-jo-yo profile image84
      ro-jo-yoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

@xaminedlife Revelation 3:15 describes a group of people that have a belief, that they need nothing, that they don't need God. And with that belief, they do not realize that they are blind and miserable etc.

7. teacherjoe52 profile image71
    teacherjoe52posted 8 years ago

We as Christians are to follow Christ's examples. If He felt that way, would there even be Christianity today?
    God bless you.

Thank you Teacherjoe52 for being here. There is  Christianity, a group of people who, because of the examples they follow and teach, should be close to beyond reproach. I hate to say that on occasion, my morals are better than some Christians I know.

8. profile image0
    genaeaposted 8 years ago

Not if you are Christian. God is no respectr of persons. Therefore Jesus (Christ) is not. Therefore, those who follow are not. True faith in Christ should produce a humility that does not allow for a "puffed-up" pride.
    For me, those who do not believe are of great interest. Especially if they ask questions. However, if they don't want my message, we can talk about cart-wheels smile I can "vibe" with the atheist-est wink we may have many other commonalities.

Thank you Genaea for your response. Not being a Christian doesn't mean being closed to discussion, and on that we certainly agree. Like you, I can deal with anybody, as long as other people respect my choices

9. lone77star profile image82
    lone77starposted 8 years ago

Absolutely not.

Would you hate and despise your infant if they did not learn to walk right away? Of course not. As a loving parent, your love would normally be unconditional.

So, God, through His messenger, Jesus, commanded us to love one another and that whatever we do to the least of these, we are also doing to God. I forget this all too often, to my own shame. But everyone on this planet is a fellow sibling.

But there is a distinction. The sibling (child of God) is "dead asleep" in most of us. Most of us use the false self of this world (ego) as their "face" to the world. This ego is not the sibling, but an evil pretender. Sometimes it's too easy to forget the child of God within when the ego is barking that they don't believe in God or spirit. They don't know that they are condemning themselves and so we should be sad -- not angry. And definitely not judgmental.

Some agnostics are merely searching and know that they are lost and need direction, but sometimes they are not yet ready for someone to tell them a direction.

For myself, I started this life believing in God. My earliest dreams were of deeply ontological questions -- about self, confidence and doubt. I grew up in a mixed household -- mother Southern Baptist, father student of all religions. I came to appreciate differences in viewpoints and in the need to find answers on our own rather than being dependent upon dogma, because that dogma, like so many interpretations, may well be imperfect or downright wrong.

I have made many discoveries in the Bible that no one else has talked about in the literature, like a biblical timeline compatible with those of science. That shows me that I am on my own level in the search for Truth and that everyone else is on theirs. I have learned long ago that no matter where I am, I can always learn from others, no matter whether they are ahead of me or behind me.

Humility is the key -- utter humility combined with perfect confidence that God loves us all, combined with infinite love and full responsibility.

lone77star. Thank you for your interesting comment. We all  should be able to get along without others convictions getting in the way, but it's not as easy as it seems. I too learn from other people even though I don't always agree with their views.

10. calynbana profile image82
    calynbanaposted 8 years ago

I don't think there is a such thing as lesser people. We are all loved by God (whether we believe it or not, it doesn't matter) and we are all in a similar situation. We live in a confusing world, where horrific things are happening all around us, we are trying to piece together the puzzle that is our world but there are so many pieces and we don't know what the pig picture is, we are physically and emotionally beaten down by life and each of us is struggling forward to try and understand our pain, suffering, and joy...not to mention love. Where we are on our quest to understand our lives does not give anybody a reason to think themselves better, or anybody else lesser.

If you take all the chemicals in our body we are all physically worth about twenty dollars, and if you take our spiritual side into consideration, we are priceless.

Calynbana, many thanks for sharing your  interesting and very well put point of view. I do share your analysis of the today's world and the worries that it engenders

11. profile image0
    Wesley Clarkposted 8 years ago

As a Christian, I believe everyone is created in the image of God.  I also believe that God is no respecter of persons.  Atheism and agnosticism are choices, just as my choosing to live as a Christian.  I believe that due to their choices, they are not lesser, but choose to live a life that is less fulfilling than what is "possible" living as a Christian.  Having said that, it doesn't mean those who call themselves Christians, are living as such.  Salvation is so much more than "fire insurance". I am an Eastern Orthodox Christian, so salvation is about being restored to that original image that God created us in.  The term is deification, or "theosis".  So salvation is a process, a restoration.  It is the very death and resurrection of Christ that enables us to be restored.  So, when you look at it from this "early church"  mindset, we are all able to experience so much more in this life if we choose. The door is open, it's just that many feel that there is no door such as the atheist, or no proof of one, such as the agnostics, to walk through.  Are they lesser, no far from it, they are equals in the eyes of God, whom Jesus said that God is not willing that "any" should perish, but that "all" should come to repentance.  God loves His creation, He offers restoration/salvation, it is up all of us to choose to accept His way, or own own way.

Hi Wesley and thank you for stopping by. Would it be fair to say that considering that someone lives a life "less fullfilling" based uniquely on religious beliefs is a way of looking down on such people ?

2. profile image0
      Wesley Clarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No,not at all. On the contrary, if my friend, daughter, or whomever is living a life less than what is possible, why would I desire to withhold something that could very well possibly help? What kind of friend, father, or citizen would I be if I did?

12. Ericdierker profile image58
    Ericdierkerposted 8 years ago

Wow, I am thinking: US as late as the 70's, India around then also. I am not sure about North Korea, today. I understand there is still distinguishing in countries with lingering monarchs. As I understand it women are still lessor in some Islam fringes. Culturally I think children are treasured but 2nd class. We still have interracial and internation slurs. I know old traditional Navajos that still think the Din'e are people - all else, who knows. Apartheid is well considered goofy. I really do not think Jews look down on Christians in general anymore.
    As for atheists and agnostics, they probably should not be thought of as lessor, like how the question does by lumping them together. One is a passive listening person and the other is anti - whatever.  My point is that thinking of some as lessor is more about actions and words than abstracts. There is absolutely no reason for you to group these two into a single sentence and single category. Clearly you think less of them to be so cavalier in the association. Equal dignity and recognition of the beauty of diversity is the first step for you to take in order not to think Agnostics and Atheists could be grouped together. Reminds me of the old line - "they all look alike to me!". The only respect someone needs is to be thought of as an individual and heard of as an individual, and you cut that off with the question.

1. Jesse Mugnier profile image59

Back up Eric. I think what austin is trying to get across here is that athiests and agnostics do not "walk" with Him. They don't go to church & worship him. So austin was wondering if that made them appear as lesser beings in the eyes of a Christ

2. Ericdierker profile image58
      Ericdierkerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Jesse, Friend,
      "as a Christian" is pretty unambiguous.
      Next, the framing of the Question, sets both into a condemned realm. Know well that an ignorant man who has not "heard" meaning accepted, is not grouped with those who have heard and not loved.

3. Jesse Mugnier profile image59

Unambiguous is not the correct term. The framing of the question does not codemn the two. It's a simple question that you are making into something way more than it is. What religion are you by the way?

4. Ericdierker profile image58

Jesse. People do not come out generally and blurt out their bias. The grouping of two groups together, is a reflection of a pre- existing bias, or the thinking lessor than of a group of group.  Atheists and agnostics are totally different.

5. Jesse Mugnier profile image59

Different? Yes. Do they have things in common? Absolutely! It is okay to "group" them because neither one goes to church or worships God.
      Let's not even get into bias here Eric...

6. austinhealy profile image73

Eric, we know atheists and agnostics are different. Two words, two definitions, two meanings. However, they have in common their lack of interest for religion and God. It is therefore relevant to use both names simultaneously in this context

7. Ericdierker profile image58

You found the one thing they have in common and stated backwards. Atheists and Agnostics are very interested in proof of God. What you are suggesting is an intellectual and spiritual void or sloth. Which indeed could cause a lessernes.

8. austinhealy profile image73

The more disdainful comments you make in this thread, the more you let the cat out of the bag and comforts me in the relevance of the original question, and where you stand in regard to it. You are just trying to sidetrack the debate !

9. SwordofManticorE profile image76
      SwordofManticorEposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Rom 3:3 For what if some disbelieve? Will not their unbelief nullify the faithfulness of God?

Our Father gives to the unGodly and takes from the righteous. He is a respector of no one. We are all his children regardless (Eph 4:6).

13. austinhealy profile image73
    austinhealyposted 8 years ago

@Ericdierker You said and I quote "As for atheists and agnostics, they probably should not be thought of as lessor". So, in spite of anything else you say,you're not convinced ! Which is the point I wanted to establish by asking this question. And, by the way, there is nothing abstract in this question, in spite of your futile efforts to deflect it. It was "inspired" by dozens of real comments here on Hubpages, by a number of condescending self righteous, self proclaimed Christians who think they are so much better than others because they have supposedly seen the light. So much for "the recognition of beauty and diversity" you preach in such a supercilious way. I think in the end, your contemptuous contributiion to this thread is an admittance that the question is relevant, and it bothers you because we both now know the answer to it from your point of view.

14. SwordofManticorE profile image76
    SwordofManticorEposted 8 years ago

Christ washed the feet of His disciples. As a Christian, I am not higher or lower than any unbeliever. We are all syblings.

Thank you for your input, SwordofManticorE. I agree with you and it is refreshing to have met through this question quite a few people who think that way.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)