For believers in anything only

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

I got in trouble and banned in response to writing a forum "for believers only", and then defending.  So I finished the sentence here. I just assumed and have never met a person who does not believe in something. Believes in no God, believes there is not enough truth. Believes in creationism or in Evolution. Some folks even believe the earth will just keep rotating. I have heard people say "I believe in you" or the other, I only believe in my self(kind of a cogito ergo sum deal) A rock climber told me he believe in his ropes and a skydiver believed in his parachute.
    I have heard of people that believe in their government  -- Well I do, I believe they will act in their own self interest most of the time ;-)

Most you know that I believe in love, I have never ever not seen it.

I hope that point is now clear. Now I would like to know what people of the writing ilk believe in.

I hope the point here is not to bash someone else's belief but learn from them.

1. Zelkiiro profile image86
      Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Think it mighta been this guy. But he said, "Believe in me, who believes in you," so I can't be too sure.

Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Could you help my small brain I believe I cannot figure it out. And that link only confuses me more.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. I take it you make no distinction between "believing," in proven scientific facts like evolution or "believing," in majikal Super Beings?

Personally I try not to have unfounded beliefs, and I think most atheists are of that persuasion. So I tend to hold beliefs that are at least based in reality in some way. Having said that I "believe," I am good enough to win a big poker tournament one day, I have just never quite managed it. This is the closest I come to unfounded beliefs.

Do you also believe in hate?

1. cleaner3 profile image70
        cleaner3posted 10 years agoin reply to this

hate is a trained concept .. children  do not know what hate is.. until it is explained to them that you can hate anyone,  and that is  why you should teach your children well.. that to  forgive someone is the hardest thing to learn .. especially yourself.!

1. Mark Knowles profile image58

Not sure what point you are making here.

Yes I believe there is hate. But I also believe it is in the "nuture"r not nature. I think that belief in things we can physically sense is very normal.

So - you don't or do make a distinction?

Make a distinction between what Mark?

Please see my first response.

Of course I do. I also believe there is a difference in believing in the love of your wife and the love of your children. And between the love a nurse shows to a parent and the love of millions of private Americans providing aid to Haiti.

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Are you kidding?   You got banned for making a specific thread for believers only?   Whoa.    I remember reading part of the thread, but it wasn't for me because apparently our definitions of "Believer" are different.   But I can't imagine why anyone would want you banned for it.

Anyway,  I believe God's word.   The Bible.  I believe He created the heavens and earth,  made Adam from the dust of the earth, made Eve from a bone of Adam's, and etc.,   that Jesus died for the sins of all mankind so that anyone who will give their hearts and lives to Him will someday get to go to heaven and dwell with Him forever;   all the way up to the last of the Book where it says someday this earth will melt with fervent heat.    So much for radical nature lovers, huh?---their idol the earth will someday melt like a plastic bottle in a bonfire.    The Creator of that earth, however,  has lived forever and will live forever, as will His followers,  anyone who is born again and appreciates His Love and wants to Love Him.  That's the good news.

MY point is partially that "believer" just is not a word reserved for Christians. We should always qualify what we believe in as you just did and that is very cool. Thank you for that.

1. profile image0

I would ask exactly when did it become a term for anything BUT Christianity,  but I guess I won't.

Oh no - ask. Do you like any sports? Do you have family members? I do not think I could count the times I patted a player of mine going into to do his best when I said -- I believe you kid. "We believe the economy will improve"
            I understand that those folks that actually followed Jesus Christ around on foot were not call "believers" but "followers of the word" and the Pharisees were called believers.

1. profile image0

Indeed?
              From whence came that "understanding"?
              Do you have chapter and verse?
              Or do you mean that nonbelievers tried to apply that term to people in a negative way, as they so often have tried to use the term "Christians" as an insult, perhaps even from the days of Antioch?

I will not quote but remind and you decide -- Before the rooster crowed they did not ask Peter - are you a believer -- they said "he is one of them that follows Christ" (we could also argue what disciple really means - but basically follower/student)
                What I am saying is that the dictionary does not see it your way -- so common parlance is that we can believe in many things. But a Christian is distinguished by belief and faith IN God, not by the word belief.. If you were to tell me that true Muslims do not believe in Mohammad I would be skeptical of your thinking. Or the Jews not not believe in Moses well, that would be tough to agree with.

1. profile image0

Ah, so it was "they".   We know who "they" is in that instance of course.
                  Which illustrates my point.

That me just get this clear: Brenda to you the word ''Believer ' can only apply to a follower of Christ?

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

Where are you "understanding," this from? Because that sounds like it was made up to defend Christians. Did you make that up yourself or take it from somewhere?

4. HattieMattieMae profile image60
      HattieMattieMaeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

when we argue with anyone it is your belief system you are arguing with!

YOU mean that when ever we argue we are just arguing with our own self beliefs --- or did you mean "their" belief system?

2. cleaner3 profile image70
    cleaner3posted 10 years ago

I think I believe in a concept ...of such, a group
    that would put together...something,  I could see
    it happen ...but would
    my own eyes.... lie to me
    Faith of belief.. therefore can be two or one .
    that is not possible   
    my mind says ..   believe it
    so my  heart   screams
    Have faith... it will happen ..
    but  hope  isn't actually real
    it is Faith.

I see the distinction you make. I will have to think on that one. So it should really be "faith springs eternal"?  (kind of works with your latest poem) hmmm

2. Ericdierker profile image44

Yes I worked on this one in the little factory in my head. I have trouble for I have seen folks thet we say "all they have is hope". And not all of them have faith they just hope for better futures. The simply hope rain will come to water their fields.
      (but that could just be semantics)

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't see it as semantics at all.  Hope is what it is, just as you say,  Faith, on the other hand, is a mistaken feeling that hope WILL be fulfilled.  If that makes sense - I'm not speaking in the faith that God is there, God loves you, etc., but that God will give you what you want or need.

The amazing (and unsettling) thing to me is that when faith is not rewarded (the parent dies, rain doesn't come, whatever) that faith, sometimes in the exact same form, comes again the very next day - the person somehow is able to ignore/forget/forgive/rationalize the faith that didn't work.

Are faith and belief too often used incorrectly? Or should we just accept that they have meanings that are different for everyone?

1. wilderness profile image94
            wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ignoring what a dictionary might have to say, I don't think so.  I say that because belief, when used in a religious sense, is well understood by everyone.  And outside of spiritual matters, it is also pretty well understood as to what it means.

However, there are those that are intentionally misusing the "belief" word in claiming that all non-religious knowledge short of absolute (which includes very nearly all knowledge) is the same as religious beliefs.  They don't seem to like the idea that a belief is not knowledge and will claim that all knowledge is only belief in an effort to "legitimize" their own belief system. 

Faith, on the other hand, is near enough to being interchangeable with belief as to seldom cause a problem.  Plus, you never seem to see it intentionally misused, probably because it has a semi-sacred feeling and is seldom used outside of religious matters.

So folks who do not believe in God think it means  -- just another faith word, and and those that believe in God think it is just their own word and there can be only on belief.

Well I hope this forum did some dispelling of the notion. It causes unneeded antagonism.

So you still make no distinction between reasonable belief in proven science and faith based belief in majick?

Mark I make real clear -- belief in different matters is different just like love toward different people is different. Of course they are different but they are still belief. I believe in science and I believe in God. Or I could say I know science and I know God. All have fallibility (my beliefs and knowledge) And I fall short in both. There is a distinction even in how I love and believe in each of my children.

So - what is your point again? I am confused, "still a belief" implies no distinction. Is that what you are trying to say?

3. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

We all believe, and the vast majority of those beliefs are wrong to some degree.

The earth's rotation, for instance, will not continue.  It has slowed almost 2 ms in the past century and will one day perhaps become tidally locked to the sun.

Wilderness you remind us well that assumptions are often mistaken for beliefs. thanks

4. hfortinberry profile image60
    hfortinberryposted 10 years ago

My dear Ericdierker,
    Thank you for trying to be a pin that might break through the "surface tension" that this world's inhabitants have unknowingly created for themselves.  Those who do not hear are those who cannot hear, because their minds are incapable of  allowing in any light.  They are as a closed loop circuit that can only go in one direction and agree with electrons or rather thoughts that agree with the world's dominant narrative.  None of us cannot believe, because we have been created in God's image, and as the creator, He must have faith and belief in his visions and in His Word in order to have "the substance of what He has hoped for become the evidence of things not seen" (Hebrews 11:1). Our own visions come from our own beliefs and e must remember that "Where there is no vision the people perish." Have a blessed 911!    H.B. Fortinberry

Deus Caritas Est - God is love. And I truly believe that love resides within us all. Yes we are taught many other things, but we are not taught love. For love is already in us. I cannot say I believe in a book. I just cannot believe in a thing. Perhaps a living thing (animal) but not an object. But I can believe what the book teaches me. Just as some believe in what we write here.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)