Astrophysics and the snowflake

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (56 posts)
  1. A.Villarasa profile image60
    A.Villarasaposted 10 years ago

We all agree that no two snowflakes are alike, when viewing its variegated intricately complex design. One could analogize it to the similarly intricate/complex design of the cosmos. String theory proposes the existence of an immense variety of "universes", and if correct, different universes could be governed by different laws of physics. The laws of nature that we are familiar with on our universe may just be laws inherent and locally distinctive   to our universe, but still "consistent with some overarching theory"  that may be arbitrary in some cases but not in others.
    Going back to the snowflakes...their ubiquitous six-fold symmetry is a direct consequence of the properties and shape of water molecules. But snowflakes display an immense variety of patterns, because each is molded by its distinctive history and microenvironment; how each flake develops is sensitive to the specific temperature and humidity changes during its growth.
    Similarly, our universe would not then be just a random one. It would belong to the unusual subset where there was an intelligent draw of cosmic numbers conducive to the emergence of complexity and consciousness.

1. Sed-me profile image78
      Sed-meposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Best thread title ever.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image81
        Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it indicates a true flame is burning. (A snowflake might be melting because of it...)

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

With you right up to the end, where you decide (without evidence or reason I can see) that our universe subset is very limited and due to intelligent creation.  With zero information about other universes, it just isn't possible to decide that this type is rare OR that the supposed rarity means a god made it.

I can see no reason to suddenly decide that the "some overarching theory" determining possible laws does not make our type of universe a necessity instead of rare.  Not, at least, until we have some solid information about that overarching theory.

Logical deductions are not permissible?

"...our universe would not then be just a random one. It would belong to the unusual subset where there was an intelligent draw of cosmic numbers conducive to the emergence of complexity and consciousness."
        ...seems valid to me!

1. wilderness profile image95

Logical deductions require a premise known to be true.  What is the premise used to make that deduction?

The premise: logically speaking, according to all the great thinkers…       Nothingness cannot create Somethingness!

Strangely, none of these great thinkers reside in the world of physics! just looked...  I thought there were a few!   maybe not.
            So to rephrase: according to me...
                      Nothingness cannot create Somethingness!
            and to further elaborate:
            Only Somethingness can create Something!

To think otherwise would be beyond logical.

TWISI

I disagree with your premise; you have absolutely no evidence proving it to be true. 

Beyond that, no one has ever, that I've heard, proposed that the universe came from nothingness.  Various opponents of the big bang make the claim that scientists claim that, but they are lying through their teeth to make an emotional appeal and it is beneath you to repeat such nonsense.  Which I'm sure you are aware of.

1. Prodio profile image60
                Prodioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Where did that thought of yours come from - that the universe 'can' come from nothing?

From the post I replied to:
                  "So to rephrase: according to me...
                            Nothingness cannot create Somethingness!
                  and to further elaborate:
                  Only Somethingness can create Something!"

Or do you think Sed-me was referring to construction of a Lamborghini?

Where did that thought originate?

2. EncephaloiDead profile image55
                  EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That theory came from science based on the evidence. While it may be well beyond your comprehension, others certainly do understand it. Try cracking open a book. smile

2. Sed-me profile image78

My husband says there are a lot of believers who are astrophysicists.

There are believers in every field in the world.  I AM a little surprised that your husband knows a significant enough percentage of astrophysicists to make the claim that "a lot" of them are believers.  Unless he knows a couple in his circle of believer friends and considers two or three to be "a lot"?

It is apparently quite easy for some people to willingly suspend rational thought in favor of emotionalism and imagination.

He reads a lot and has an avid interest in astronomy... less so, talking on forums. He leaves that to me, the real brains of the family. smile

edit :cosmology... I should have said.

lol

And, of course, you believe him.

He's the smartest man I know. You could google though if you want to prove him wrong.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image55

lol He's the one making the claim, he has to prove himself right. It has nothing to do with me.

3. profile image0
              Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Using intuition?

Yea, maybe not.
              Then what created the Somethingness? If this logic is to hold true then everything has to have been created including the creator of the universe.

Follow that logic through and you'll see it conflicts with the Gods described by most people.

Well, that is certainly the great mystery... what something created the original something?
                I guess it has always been and will always be. Boy, do we talk about some trippy stuff…

2. Sed-me profile image78

Funny, speaking of logical deductions. This quote has been on my mind for 2 days.

“I had always felt life first as a story: and if there is a story there is a story-teller”
          G.K. Chesterton

Is it your intent to then "logically" deduce that there was a creator (writer) for the story we are in?  Because I would question the truth of the premise that life is like a story.

It is your God-given right.

2. A.Villarasa profile image60
        A.Villarasaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

@wilderness:
        The "string theory" was proposed and uniformly agreed upon by  theoretical and experimental physicists as well as by astrophysicist, as potentially the one unifying theory that could explain the inner workings of the universe or at a minimum try to  connect the dots from quantum mechanics to Einstein's relativity theories, and everything else in between.

Fourier's theorem, a lesser  known but still deep and elegant explanation emanating from the mathematics of physics,  proposes, that any complex pattern, whether in time or space, can be described as a series of overlapping  waves of multiple frequencies and various amplitudes. Thus, it is an  an assuredly uncomplicated way of analyzing complex visual patterns in non- biologic systems, but also has applicability in biologic structures as well.

The string theory if followed to its logical conclusion, could explain the more than chance probability that a "multiverse" exist. Fourier's theorem attempts to explain the development of  simple systems to complex structures, and the  inner workings of  those complex  structures i.e. the multiverse or the snowflakes.

Fine, but none of that addresses the laws, requirements and nature of the "super-universe" (I forget the term you used) that produced this one.  And it is those laws and attributes that would determine what laws are possible or probably for any other universe produced.

Remember, that theorem(s) can attempt to describe THIS universe and it's nature and laws, but cannot begin to address those of any possible universe that produced this one.  Not until we have at least the minimum information as to the probability that the laws of this one would come about.

3. EncephaloiDead profile image55

Sorry, how did you possibly go from a snow flake to intelligent design in one gigantic leap of ... ?

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image81
    Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years ago

It is very natural to believe that God caused the Big Bang… he thought of it and bang… existence!
    Whats wrong with that presumption?

Presume all you want.  Just don't try to pass it off as truth for you have no idea if your presumption is true or not.  That is, after all, the nature of presumptions.

Some things are not provable because we don't have the tools to prove them. When we can measure the energy of a soul as it leaves the body after the heart has stopped beating, we will have proof. 

...maybe in the Golden Ages.

And some things are not provable because they are not true.  The trick, of course is to know when to stop trying and just accept that we don't know.  Or, in rare cases, it is possible to prove a negative, but it is notoriously difficult.

And sometimes, some 'things' are not provable because some people are determined not to accept them to be true.

Agreed, but people somehow still insist that evolution can't happen and that mankind is 100% responsible for the heating of the earth.  We can lead them to drink but can't open their mouths to swallow.

Sure, and when we can measure the speed of a galloping unicorn with a leprechaun riding, it, we will have proof.

... maybe in our dreams.

What allows you to dream?

1. EncephaloiDead profile image55

Do you not actually know that, never been to school, never cracked open a book?

Seriously, this is not kindergarten.

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2607188

It thought you would rather point to your brain (as the origin of your dreams). I mean, the one which.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)