Doing right

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Doc Young profile image61
    Doc Youngposted 9 years ago

what drives mankind as a whole to do that which is "right" - assuming the definition of "right" is as follows, outtake from dictionary.com:

right
    adjective, right·er, right·est. 
    1. in accordance with what is good, proper, or just: right conduct. 
    2. in conformity with fact, reason, truth, or some standard or principle; correct: the right solution; the right answer.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image69
      AshtonFireflyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure that I would agree all of mankind has a drive to do that which is "right," according to the definition you provided. I think all of mankind only has a natural drive to do that which best serves himself. To some this is right, to some this is not. Each person has a notion of what they think is "right" to do. Even then, sometimes they do it, sometimes they don't.

What is "right" is not universally accepted, and therefore the notion of universal pursuit of it cannot be universally acknowledged.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Some combination of self-interest and compassion.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's the way I see it, too - most people instinctively understand the rudiments of karma, (get what you receive) and act accordingly.  Not all, unfortunately.

3. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We are currently living in societies that are vastly different than the societies that we have evolved to live in. Imagine a tribe with 50-100 people all depending on each other for survival and all letting each other know what was and what wasn't acceptable behaviour. What was for the good of the tribe was most important and that requires compassion and care as well as discipline. Today one can hide and become selfish, perhaps that's why we have prisons. However most of us still have the desire to help breed in us. It's part of humanity, and it can be seen in our closest relatives. For example monkeys will complain if they feel they are being mistreated, but will not complain if they are being favoured. Chimps will all complain if one of them is being mistreated or unfairly treated.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

The sense of right must be instilled by parents. If it is instilled by parents during the first six years, it will be strong. Children have a natural propensity to follow the parent or adult in charge. The parents' window of opportunity to set the boundaries of proper behavior continues until the child is about fifteen. After that, he starts to guide his own will. What he has absorbed from his parents now emerges as his own.

3. Cgenaea profile image61
    Cgenaeaposted 9 years ago

To me, doing what is right takes love. To someone else, money. To others still, the right thing takes intelligence and drive to beat everyone else to the top of the "heap" no matter what. Then stick your head over the railing and "look down your nose".
    And there are a tremendous amount of other options of what "right" represents.
    And another thing, my parents (both at home, and totally committed) were TOTALLY different from me. I had other ideas. They were/are fine citizens. Not one of the stereotypicalities apply. Both of their children were totally different people. We made our own patterns. Not everyone fits into a neat little box.
    Right, becomes wrong when we pass the mic.

4. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 9 years ago

Humanity as a whole is driven to do that which is wrong. How? Self-concern. Each individual is looking out for their individual selves. This is selfishness. This is ego, the opposite of love.

Only when we follow the teachings of Christ -- to love our fellows (even our enemies) as ourselves -- will we be able to heal the world (tikkun olam). This is the "right" solution. All other actions lead to suffering and self-destruction.

When we are Love, then everyone benefits. Abundance exists. Pleasure abounds. Suffering ceases to exist.

http://perceivingreality.com

Doc Youngposted 9 years agoin reply to this

... yeah ... but ... have you ever said to God "Lord i am a sinner and i can't change on my own, Jesus come into my life and save me" ...

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
        Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

have you?

... yup ... and you?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
            Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why do you ask?

It is Each To Their Own in these here forums.

... just checking ... in response to yor q ...

2. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No - why would I?  I am dictate my actions and take full responsibility for them.  If those actions need changed, I will do it and not rely on a mythological creature from the past.

... agree or not, at least it is a pleasure to get a straight answer ... wish your were on my team ... maybe some day ...

3. MelissaBarrett profile image59
        MelissaBarrettposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I did.

He then told me to get off my ass and stop being a victim. He said that he was quite busy enough on his own and that maybe if I wanted to change I should probably go about it the way that normal people do and stop whining about it to him.

He then told me to stop being a lazy ass who expected everyone else to do the hard work for them, gave me a number to a therapist's office, and wished me well.

On the way out, he told me that I might want to volunteer at a homeless shelter or a burn ward to get a little perspective and also to stop thinking that the world revolved around my belly-button. Then, he said, I could maybe offer up a prayer that wasn't all about my insignificant petty self-involved problems and at least pray for something useful if I was so convinced that all problems could be solved by spending all my time yapping at him.

... hhmmm ... i think i've been insulted ... hard to tell as it lacks originality ... ... next ...

1. Cgenaea profile image61
            Cgenaeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Great peace have they who love thy law, and NOTHING shall offend them...
            Grain o salt...bitterness is as bitterness does.
            Our God is waiting for us all to say yes. But he knows that not everyone will. His way is that we realize our need for him. Not things. He wants us to acknowledge him in all of/everything we do. He wants our undivided attention. Then and only then, may we be free.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59

So, if one wanted to stop using drugs, or beating their wife, or raping little boys.... you would suggest that all they needed to do was ask God to change them? The Bible says that? Where?

... eewww ... melisser ... slow it down ... too much discontent ... specially on a sunday in the mountain momma ... certainly not a beckley girl with that attitude ... must be in williamson ...

Not discontent, low tolerance for BS. What part of the state does that make me from? If it helps, I don't have a gun rack in the back of the pickup I don't drive and I have all my teeth. Does that narrow it down a bit for you?

2. Cgenaea profile image61

To change, one needs to change his mind. David was big on doing it all wrong and coming to know. We need something to change it to. Our way is not working. We need a new way. His way is available to us. We come to know his way. We change.  No finger-snap alive... process. Relapse rates; remorseful sodomists of babes, and mentally insane husbands may all attest to the fact that our own efforts are often not enough.

And Christ alone didn't work too well for Jim Baker or Jimmy Swaggart... didn't seem to go too well for Fred Phelps either.

Believing in Christ doesn't automatically make you a better person no matter how many times you say you are weak and turn yourself over to Christ. Eventually, you actually have to get off your butt and do something to change yourself... if you are really wanting to do something other than give lip service.

After all, even demons acknowledge Christ and admit his powers. I read that somewhere once.

1. Cgenaea profile image61

It starts...in the mind. Once renewed, you are able to know what to do. Mind renewing is the "reading" no one should miss. It is a process. You cannot let Jesus only reside on your lips. We must be doers. But doers of the word. You cannot do what you have not come to know. The pastor said, "Slow growth is sure growth. If you start doing before you know what to do...all your doing is in vain.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59

No, you haven't. I don't know you to insult you.

I do, however, think that telling people that all they have to do to change is pray is dangerous and completely unproductive. Change takes actual effort.

Saying a prayer and then sitting around waiting for Jesus to change you is going to produce absolutely no change. There is nothing in the Bible that says it will. I have no idea where that line of thinking even came from but it's denominational (I could even tell you what denomination) and not supported by most Christians... me included... obviously.

3. profile image0
            Emile Rposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't say it lacked originality as much as it showed a lack of patience. But, considering the ridiculous nature of the statement it was in reply to, who could blame her?

Patience has never really been a strong suit for me. I'll pray for that as soon as Jesus gets me that job as one of Mc Hammer's backup dancer. (I said that prayer a LONG time ago, never practiced or auditioned or anything, but I'm confident Christ will make it happen.)

2. Doc Young profile image61

... careful ... your qaballa is showing in an insensitive manner ...

1. profile image0

I can't decide if you are for real, or simply a sock puppet on holiday. I'm leaning toward the latter.

... see ... no sense of humor ... everything is an insult if it doesn't agree with your ideology ... but then again, humors not one of the branches on your surreal tree of life ... there are few things in this world that are worth taking seriously ... sorry, you're not one of them ...

1. profile image0

You are very odd.

5. Cgenaea profile image61
    Cgenaeaposted 9 years ago

Whew!!! I almost worried...

6. ematthowerton profile image60
    ematthowertonposted 9 years ago

I am a gun owner, I drive a truck and I have all my teeth. I am from the South and if I wasn't a supporter of the 1st Amendment, I might've taken offense to your description of a person believing in Christ and praying. If you like ridiculing people for their faith then take your best shot. I have skin tough as leather. Good luck with the "backup dancer" thing. If it's God's Will, it will happen. If not, He has other plans. God Bless You

1. Sed-me profile image80
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hello good sir, it is helpful to click "reply" on the actual post of the person you are replying to. It allows us to know for sure who you are speaking to. If the posts seem hard to follow and out of context, click on "Chronological" instead of "threaded" on the top right of the screen. It will be very helpful to you. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)