God is a theory, is an opinion

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Doc Young profile image59
    Doc Youngposted 9 years ago

... ever notice when believers speak of God, invariably the debates will arise regarding and demanding proofs of his existence, ad nauseum ... yet ask naysayers for their adverse proofs, or any proofs or facts supporting evolution or related subjects, all one gets is theory and the latest updates of such from the local news parrots ... bottomline ... at least believers have an inerrant, unchanging fact book which supports history rather than the other way around ... God is a theory, is an opinion ... unsupported by fact ...

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about an inerrant, unchanging fact book. Supported by history. But, I think those who 'believe' in God see his existence as fact. The theory and opinion comes in when they attempt to label that entity, assign attributes, work to make others believe that entity supports any religion over another, etc.

I could be wrong.

Doc Youngposted 9 years agoin reply to this

... see what i mean ... just rhetoric about Christians ... but never any factual data  ... could it be there is none ... i'll stick with the real thing ... the Bible, a factual account of our world ... beginning and ending ...

1. cjhunsinger profile image61
          cjhunsingerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hello Doc
          Perhaps, if we try to deal with this in a rational and reasoned manner, instead of emotional tirades, we may be able to solve some problems.
          I am retired and I do enjoy a good joust, so let us take our time and  take this step by step.
          Points of understanding:
               You assert that a god/gods exist.
               I assert that there is no reasonable proof that such things do exist.
               You cannot reasonable prove your assertion of a godly existence.
               I cannot prove non-existence. A negative cannot be proven.
               You assert that because I cannot prove a negative, therefore the negative exists.
          Is this where we are at?

For the sake of argumentation let us accept a common definition of, 'fact'. I have taken the liberty to Google the definition of fact and paste it here ,  "a thing that is indisputably the case." As you point to a bible as factual, your words, "the Bible, a factual account of our world ... beginning and ending.".
          I have read most versions  of the Catholic and Protestant Bibles,  except for some mention of geography and cultures, I have noted no facts. If you can provide,  lets say just five facts that shed any light on your assertion that the bible is the word of a god, the virgin birth, the resurrection of Jesus, the bringing of Lazarus back to life, and, the last, where are the original four gospels of Mathew, Mark, Luke and John in their hand. That we have written evidence of the Pharaohs of 3500 BCE, I am sure that you can produce or tell me where the original books of the bible are located, as they are much younger than the Egyptian stuff.
          Atheism, as you know is just a statement without a philosophy, as opposed to a theism, which has many. Christianity is but one. For me, as an Atheist, I prefer the identification of Sapien, a reasoning being,  but as an Atheist I will gladly try to answer any ten questions that you might pose.
          Arguing generalities serves no purpose, so lets see if we can be more specific and solve the greatest question facing Mankind. Is there or is there not a god/gods?
          Hopefully I will hear from you and  all that factual information.

... as i said earlier ... we are not that dissimilar in our makeup ... but i'm too old to joust anymore ... we can discuss though open forums do leave room for the less considerate (see above) to "trash talk" or make insipid remarks hoping for a response to give them relevance ... i see you have experience the similar and worse in other forums ... if you would like to trade email addresses and talk there, that would be fine with me ... and in either case, i will try to show a proper respect for your position, especially since you are a brother bluebelly, even though i may disagree ...

... i have read your comments a couple times and am puzzled (truly, not a barb) if you are an atheist or an agnostic ... though you state to be the first, there is a sense of the second in that you search for or are open that which would bring the knowledge of the existence God ...

... as to your summation of positions ... for the sake of foundation, i think your first 4 points are probably as close as we might get to where we are for now, although i am not a pantheist as i believe in only one God, the God of the Bible ... as to last, i am still digesting that one ... philosophy in the form of syllogy has always been hard for me ... got kids and grandkids this week and weekend so responses may be slow coming ...

Doc
              Email sounds good and we do have a great deal in common and I will not give up on you. My grandchildren are 2500 miles away. I envy you.

... bump me with a "20" in your note at sowhatgoodisit@gmail.com ... its my junker so i'll probably find you in the spam ...

2. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 9 years agoin reply to this

How would that qualify as rhetoric against Christians? Most Christians I know wouldn't make that claim.

2. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 9 years ago

I can't even tell what you're arguing for, or against.

3. Paul Wingert profile image60
    Paul Wingertposted 9 years ago

God is not a theory. A theory needs supporting facts and evidence. A theory is always under review and tested. Theories are made to be disproven. God is a myth. Huge difference!

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's a theory
      Global pubic option is far greater

Theism
      Belief in the existence of a divine reality; usually referring to monotheism (one God), as opposed to pantheism (all is God), polytheism (many gods), and atheism (without God). Theistic religions such as Christianity, Islam, and Judaism all have the monotheistic belief in a God, whereas a polytheistic religion such as Hinduism holds a belief in many gods.

I mean Global public opinion

Castle

What is meant by, "Global public opinion?" Are you saying that what is believed by the majority carries a greater truth? Did not the majority of the world populations believe the word to be flat?

The Bible kept them dumb, most common folk thought the Bible said, the world was flat (for 1500 years.)

Global public opinion is a collective conscious opinion by 80% or more of the people starting in grass root locally, expanding Globally

Two super powers
            Public Global opinion and American Military/Prison complex

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)