jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (10 posts)

When Everyone Is Dreaming the Same Dream ~ It Becomes Difficult to Doubt the Dre

1. God shet profile image60
    God shetposted 2 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11958593_f520.jpg

All these people around the world ~ all these television sets in living rooms and inside bedrooms ~ all these newspaper corporations making headlines everyday ~ all these school teachers teaching age-old beliefs to young souls ~ all these companies desperate to invent more effective ways to advertise their products ~ the world is under illusions.

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2669319

'Uninterested' persons are discouraged to participate. Thank you for your cooperation. :-)

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Perhaps we should require all children to have 5 or 10 years of critical thinking classes - teach them it's not only OK to doubt but necessary.  I suspect it would be a very hard sell; the religious community would be up in arms as soon as little Johnny first questions their beliefs.

God shetposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Walmart might come first. . . followed by MPs of all sorts.

Anyway, you have come up with a beautiful suggestion. But 5 years is more than necessary I feel. We, generally speaking, are more receptive when we are young.

Except that small children (even teens much of the time) are incapable of reasoning well.  So, at least 5 years in later school, leaving the younger children to simply accept.  We don't want to kill Santa Claus, after all!

I hope Walmart wont peruse Santa then :-)

2. God shet profile image60

There is a serious disconnection between who we fundamentally are ~ what we learn in schools ~ what school education teaches us who we are ~ and what we discover the reality of the world to be, years later.

Perhaps.  I stayed away from the "fuzzy subjects" like philosophy - teachers never tried to teach me "who I was".  Just what chemicals were in my body and how it was put together.

There are 'good' schools and 'good' teachers as well. But, generally speaking, they do a terrible job by detracting young people from themselves: their true aspirations and ideals, and their dreams.

Schools and schools-teachers do not exist apart from society. Teaching is a job that pays well and is a profession of respect. Schools are built and regulated by the state.

The origin of the problem is inside us ~ the human consciousness.

I don't know about that - I've always thought of pre-college schooling as a way to learn the basics of knowledge today and an exposure to all kinds of things.  If a kid never looks at biology, chemistry or music they will never know if they like it or not.  If they do, classes are available to delve a little deeper into the subject; if not it's on to something else.

The biggest problem may be that all studies require self discipline and responsibility and THAT we aren't teaching our kids today.  We don't learn "who we are" by sitting in front of a video game for hours each day.

Well said.

working