Intolerance Towards Religion

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (58 posts)
  1. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 9 years ago

It is quite understandable for the rationals to pity the believers for their purported ignorance and obstinate adherence to their religious beliefs. They think they know the truth which may well be the case. What I do not understand is the way they put down the believers as though they were some dimwits. There have even been some instances of ugly incidents that had resulted from heated arguments. Isn't this vehemence the very anti-thesis of rational thinking? Why can't they let the "ignorants" to themselves and move on themselves?

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Two extreme being tolerance of each other, good luck with that. I fing it difficult enough to be accepted by most the God fearing people.

I offer middle ground solutions, yet most onesided groups would rather fight than switch to a new way of thinking. As long as people are fighting, the greedy will walk away with the money, in turns  harm nature, and our health..

2. Puggleby profile image60
      Pugglebyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

So I know I probably replied enough in this thread but it's a bit frustrating to see so much ignorance coming from those who claim they are intelligent and reasonable. 

For example this quote here

This may be something true of third world countries but in present day US and much of the world this is utter nonsense.
      As I have said multiple times already, and people seem to not understand the meaning, religion and science are NOT exclusive towards each other. This means someone can believe in and study both. There are many many many religions, and from what I've seen in this thread most people only have experience with a few. Some of these religions do believe in evolution and other scientific theories. Believing in a religion does not mean that one cannot work in or study science.
      Those that do not believe in such scientific theories are better off not working in the scientific fields in your opinion, no? If someone is so easily able to convince themselves that something is true without proof or evidence than they're probably not someone you want to be conducting scientific experiments.
      I would also like to point out that there are scientific theories and studies regarding religious events. Again science and religion are not exclusive of each other.
      Religion is not what is holding back science and medicine.

I would also like to say that the majority of religions do not brainwash. Which by the way is defined as;  In order to brainwash a person to believe in a religion you would have to cloister them away from society.
      Why?
      Because in today's society religious beliefs are tested daily. Not only do you have ignorant internet identities directly attacking people for their beliefs but you have movies, tv shows, books, and other media outlets posing questions about existence, religion, beliefs, and self identity.
      Believing in a religion is a personal choice. Much like a decision to be agnostic, ignostic, or atheist. Not a choice that someone makes for you in the modern world. I also do not believe it is a radical belief as I have already mentioned, even as far back as my first post. The radical members of any movement are the memorable ones and that is perhaps the reason for much confusion.

Also I do not believe that religious parties play a large role in disrupting people's lives. Quite the opposite. There are very few cases where religious parties go around disrupting people's daily lives. As I have already mentioned most people will stop talking to you about religion if you tell them you are not comfortable with the conversation. And also mentioned this, being atheist does not mean that people are banned from discussing or talking about their religion around you. That's censorship.

For many believing in a religion is a way to support their emotional and spiritual well being. It helps them feel at peace with their current situations, decisions, and with the people around them. It also makes them feel included in a larger family that will help support them through difficult times. While many are welcoming towards newcomers very few go knocking door to door. In my experience those that do our not doing so with ill intent. So I think it's a bit rude to meet their goodwill with aggression. Simply telling them that you're not really interested will suffice.

What I tend to see online very often is people already predisposed for bigotry towards those with religious beliefs attacking said person's beliefs when the person posts something about their religion. Bigotry is  Many people in today's society are intolerant of religion for very poor reasons as can be seen here. Most are biased images formed from a handful of encounters. Those then create an aggressive initial reaction when meeting those that have a belief in religion. Either by attacking their beliefs or by attacking the person's intelligence.

Honestly intolerance towards someone's personal choices is quite sad. Telling someone they shouldn't believe in something because YOU think it's an ignorant or wrong decision is not something any grown adult should think is okay. It wouldn't be okay for you to go around telling someone who chose to be openly gay that they were ignorant or wrong and their decision wasn't reasonable. It's not considered acceptable or decent in modern society.
      And no, most reasonable religions in the modern world would not do such things. They would not throw a fit and attack someone for being gay. They might say they disagree with the person's decision. But for the Bible believers the book says to love your neighbor, and that includes when he does or believes something you disagree with.
      Again the people you think of rioting are the radical members of religious society who use a book as a means to rationalize their hatred. Much as some use science to rationalize their hatred of those that believe in religion.

I'm sorry if you disagree but I'm a believer in not judging a book by it's cover. You're more likely to realize how nice people are if you don't go in believing they're ignorant and attacking their beliefs. Keeping an open mind promotes intelligence. When you start closing off your mind to other ideas and beliefs you've stopped allowing in new information. You've stopped growing.

This is probably the last time I will post in this thread though I will answer questions if someone wanted clarification on my meaning or something. I tried to make meanings as clear as possible so hopefully that doesn't happen. I will likely not respond to attacks or aggressive posts as those usually come from people not looking for enlightenment, but looking for a fight or looking to be right. I'm not interested in either of those last two.

1. Phil Perez profile image61
        Phil Perezposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This was great, I loved this post !

2. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 9 years ago

Probably because religionists are always trying to get their religious beliefs into school classrooms, and onto the law books. I hear it's a constant battle.

1. mishpat profile image60
      mishpatposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Depending on which "religionists" you mean, and considering the present state of society, it might not be a bad idea.  Seems the country was progressing while those items were a part of the curriculum.

We could even experiment and go back to the 3 R's, readin', ritin' and rithmic instead of the present day teachings of the 3 C's, condoms, coke and coexistence.

1. Cgenaea profile image59
        Cgenaeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I never really looked at it like that before. I've seen that school is a FAR cry from "old-school" school. The teachers had a paddle, the students did what she said, or there were consequences, the teacher was in school til 5. The teachers separated and tutored students needing extra help while the class quietly worked on other assignments. She noticed everything and everyone.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

Here it is.   
    One's own Belief produces good effects on oneself. Other's Beliefsā€¦? Not so much.
    Atheism is mostly a request to allow one to think for oneself and come to one's own conclusions.

Prejudice on the part of atheists can occur, however, and they can become defensive when even in proximity to a Believer.

Believers do need to tone it down a bit. Speak when asked, is my rule.

(Do I follow my own rule? Another story.
    But, at least I can admit when I have "asked for it" from an atheist.)

TWISI

4. Puggleby profile image60
    Pugglebyposted 8 years ago

I believe to truly understand the issue you have to first understand the vast scope of religion. It is not merely Christianity. Christianity itself is a vast and diverse collection of smaller religious groups with vastly different beliefs and behaviors.

Not all religions believe in a heaven or a hell. Some believe in reincarnation and karma.  Some have vengeful gods and some have none. But what the opponents of religious beliefs tend to do is compress all these varying religions into one biased word; radical.

Not all religious people are radical and to assume that the majority are is an incorrect assumption. Radical religious members tend to stand out more than those who are civil and/or accepting of different religious, even atheist, views. Because of this I often see many atheist posting rude comments attacking all religious peoples with the view of this radical in mind. This itself is a biased viewpoint quite ironically.

I understand that many may have a limited experience in dealing with people of different religions and the radical may be their only experience. But it is also worth pointing out that many atheist are not accepting of those that are religious. As can be seen right here on this page; some people do not want to hear about differing religions.

I also see some confusion here between Atheism and Agnosticism. Atheism is the firm belief that a god or gods do not exist. In contrast Agnosticism is the position of not being sure whether a god exist or not. Neither are a request to think and speak for oneself. They are a viewpoint. (The meaning of this being that people may not associate you stating that you are Atheist with the words, "Don't talk to me about religion." They are not synonyms.)

I do not quite agree with the "don't speak unless spoken to" attitude towards religious peoples. Thinking and speaking for oneself is your right. It is also the right of religious peoples. They shouldn't have to censor religion out of their daily lives for those less accepting of different views. If you are uncomfortable speaking about religion than try stating so plainly. I believe most people will switch topics and understand if you say something along the lines of, "I'm not comfortable with this conversation."

While I will not state that all religious peoples are highly intelligent individuals the belief that people who believe in religion are ignorant is ridiculously false.

Edit: I'd also like to add in here that the belief in one of these does not exclude you from belief in the other. It's not exactly an either or thing.

Many claim that they choose science over religion because it is the logical conclusion, and that may well be the case. Yet, they often also claim to be smarter than those that believe religion because they have "proof." This is often an oversight.

Those that believe in science rarely conduct experiments on their own or only simple ones that could be done by an elementary student. Most often scientific studies are read over in magazines, skimmed in classes, or glimpsed in a documentary. The specific details of these studies often go unknown to the believer in science. Yet the believer of science will argue that this is the truth and  may even become angry when defending science without having experienced even a fraction of it first hand. (Much like a radical believer in religion.)

Let me clarify here. I'm not saying that science is a religion. I am saying that there are those that cling to science just as there are those that cling to religion. They do not understand the details, but they will use it to their defense all the same.

IMHO simply reading about something in a book is not the same thing as proof. For me proof is something I see, experience, and understand for myself. What I mean by this is that I will not believe something simply because someone tells me it is true. I must first understand why it is true myself.

(Disclaimer: I'm not religious. I'm more of an Agnostic. Though, that said, I have had experiences in different churches in different places and with people of various religions. It's with these experiences in mind that I wrote the proceeding. I understand your own experiences may be different. Sorry for the super long read.)

1. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Except that the science believer also knows that scientists use an unbiased scientific method, so have little need to doubt the scientist are being biased in their findings. It does take faith yes, but not blind faith like religion does.

1. Puggleby profile image60

That is actually not true.
        Sometimes scientific studies are manipulated to achieve desired results. That is why you often have conflicting studies regarding the same test matter and conditions. So you can't really guarantee that science is unbiased.
        Scientific studies have as much room to be biased as people do.

Sure there are some. On the whole, not. Plus, it all gets equaled out in the end. Usually when the holdouts die and the next generation takes over.

So you're saying here that the validity of a study changes over time? Due to new people taking over? This contradicts your statement that science is unbiased.
            Most studies you can find publicly available today will face similar studies with opposing conclusions. Take for example Aspartame used as a sweetener in foods. There are many studies revealing it as a trigger element in several health problems. However there are also several studies claiming it innocent of such accusations.
            The point of this is that science is only as faultless as the people that conduct it.

I've also noticed by reading an article of yours that you do seem to be quite biased yourself towards those who have some belief in religion.

"As most people have religious beliefs, then it's obvious most people need to take a look at their thinking processes."
            "I doubt religion will ever be eradicated from the minds of people, but at least scientific reasoning is well established for now."
            "When children are indoctrinated into religions, they are encouraged to blind belief. They are taught not to think for themselves, and especially NOT to question authority. They grow into adulthood with a child like mentality."

Why do you believe that people are wrong for not believing the same as you? Why do you think that their beliefs should be eradicated? Why does them not agreeing with your viewpoint equate to them not being able to reason properly? You said in that same post that even intelligent people blindly believe in religion. How does this equate to them having a childlike mentality?

"So you're saying here that the validity of a study changes over time? Due to new people taking over? This contradicts your statement that science is unbiased."

No, I didn't say that the validity of a study changes over time. I said conclusions based on facts change over time.

Science isn't unbiased; scientists are.

The rest I will tackle in a bit, I need to reread what you wrote.

2. janesix profile image60

Why do you believe that people are wrong for not believing the same as you?>> Because religious beliefs are unscientific. And wrong.

Why do you think that their beliefs should be eradicated?>> Because religious beliefs hold back science and forward thinking civilization.

Why does them not agreeing with your viewpoint equate to them not being able to reason properly? >>Religious thinking is suspension of disbelief for those who can reason. This is ok, as long as the suspension of belief remains only for the belief itself. The rest don't seem to reason at all.

Basically you acknowledged what I said before. "The point of this is that science is only as faultless as the people that conduct it." Science is not faultless. Yet, you cling to it and use it as a shield against opposing beliefs.

Being unscientific does not make something wrong. There are many things that science does not yet explain. This does not make them wrong.

As I said before a belief in religion does not exclude one from the right to belief in science. This means that one can believe in both. As far as I know science has yet to prove that there is no god or gods. Therefore it is reasonable to acknowledge the possibility of their existence.

Just like it's reasonable to acknowledge the possibility of the Flying Spaghetti Monster's existence.

If you want to put it that way then, yes. I'm not well versed in that religion so I don't know the details, but if people wish to believe in something who are you to tell them that they are wrong? Why does it bother you that someone believes something you don't agree with? If you think they are childlike and lack the correct reasoning capabilities why does it bother you that they won't be contributing to science? If the belief in a god or gods watching out for someone helps them make it through the day how is that wrong?

5. SharLovesYeshua profile image58
    SharLovesYeshuaposted 8 years ago

Yes it is true, really, no one should argue.   In The Bible it says to not argue.  Very good Point. It also says we should love everyone!  We are all just human and I can only try.  I like to love people though.  It feels so much better, ya know. Thank you and God Bless you.

Where in the Bible does it say not to argue?

1. SharLovesYeshua profile image58
        SharLovesYeshuaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Janesix

2 Timothy 2:23-24  But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife.  24 And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient,

Proverbs 15:1  A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

Romans 14:19  So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Proverbs 29:22  A man of wrath stirs up strife, and one given to anger causes much transgression.

Romans 14:1  As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions.

Proverbs 19:11 Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense.

There are many many more.

Thank you

What does the Bible say about ?

Thank you.

2. SharLovesYeshua profile image58

oh yes yes, also James 3  talks about taming the tongue. 
          Its true, our tongues speak so much evil instead of nice.  Ofcourse this has many social variables, but ultimately its comes down to a choice as to how we  talk to each other. 
          Thank you.

6. Hunter L profile image67
    Hunter Lposted 8 years ago

It's pretty simple for me.... there are MANY MANY different religions all around the world that all think they're right. Guess what, almost every single religious person on the planet belongs to the 'faith' (ridiculous word) that they do purely because of the geographical nature of their birth and the brainwashing forced upon them, with no reason or evidence to back it up. That makes religion beyond a joke, and it certainly should not be holding back science and medicine, as well as disrupting peoples lives in the 21st century. I find it sickening, and I firmly believe that it is encouraged by tyrannical governments as a way to control the gullible

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes the gullible.

Last Halloween I dress up as a cowboy billionaire, just to feel what it would be like being in the shoe of a greedy 1% person. Most of us know absolute power corrupts, in these so called leaders minds, it seems they think people can not control them selves in masses, like were are wilder-beast.
      On the contrary the private can do anything better the Government and we are better at leading ourselves than corperationism or religion.

Just an experience.

2. mishpat profile image60
      mishpatposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hhmmm, wait a minute, that's Mao said?

And that was an interesting "guess what".  Kinda like a scientific fact.

3. SharLovesYeshua profile image58

Yes I agree, that is people, human beings choosing those actions, hurting others and controlling others, , that is humans choosing to do bad things.  Religion is not God.  Beauty of a waterfall, oooooooooo that feels so God, Love is God, a peaceful moment is God, my son being born into the world, ohhhhhh  is wonderful gift of God, Me talking to God and God answering me in the most loving way is God...Jesus doing such beautiful kind acts for others  is God, us doing such beautiful kind acts for others is God... That makes me happy and that's God...God Bless your weekend

How does God "answer" you?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)