Choose between the two, Your parents or your God!

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (37 posts)
  1. packerpack profile image59
    packerpackposted 14 years ago

This is just to share my latest encounter with someone who is a strong believer in God! Thought to write a Hub but there ain't enough matter.

On my way back home from a recent trip I met a man in train. When I reached my seat that man was already there and it seemed there was some discussion going on. I was in no mood to talk, so I didn't show any interest but kept listening. Everyone in the discussion seemed to have agreed that we should follow God's instructions no matter what. I kept listening.

Having left with no one to convince, he turned towards me and said "I know you have been listening to us although you didn't get a chance to participate. So what do you think?". I said "Look I generally don't discuss on these kind of topics", thinking that I will be left alone. But the guys was bent upon knowing my opinion. This irritated me very much and to end the discussion I just said, "According to you God should be followed blindly but suppose God says 'To prove your loyalty towards me you have to leave your family. Do it and go to heaven or else go to hell.' What would you do". He could have easily said "God will never say such thing". But I was socked when he said, "Off-course I will do what he wants. That is why we are all here for. To serve him. If this be his will then be it. Nothing is important before him. I strictly believe that we all should follow him to the extent to even sacrifice everything we have and only then can we get a place in heaven"

I was dumbstruck! The guy is ready to sacrifice even his family just for a place in heaven! This is what God taught him? Bullshit!

I don't believe in God but I am open to the idea but if this is what we are supposed become like if we become a believer then it is better I do not believe in him (or her!).

I had to leave the seat and go to another compartment of the train!

1. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This has a much deeper meaning. Family is one of mans  biggest attachments and as long as you have any attachment which becomes ego you cannot enter the kingdom of god or heaven. When you become desire less and want nothing that's when you can.
      Then remember "the kingdom of God is within you" Jesus Christ so god is within you,your deepest being is God and you are playing this game with yourself and its called the cosmic joke.You are the creator,director, actor as well as  the audience. smile

2. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I think, if there's a God, He's responsible for the fact that people have thinking brains, good hearts, and the ability to love and treasure their family (and to some extent, others, and the world).

In view of that very real possibility, I would assume that guy isn't just "a believer" - he's a cult follower.

packerpackposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well according to what I have written he appear to be a cult follower or an extremist but he was so polite explaining things and putting his point forward but the moment I tried to put my point forward, he became so furious. I did not understand what was there to be so angry on. I was in no mood to fight and hence left the compartment.

3. RKHenry profile image62
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

Neither.  I choose myself.

4. Everyday Miracles profile image85
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

I think your perspective on the issue might be a bit off. You might wind up being the first person other than wandererh to inspire a religion hub out of me! Hmmm...

In short:

The issue isn't whether or not doing what God says will "earn" us a spot in Heaven. The issue is that most spiritual people have chosen to serve their god (regardless of "which" god it might be). I am one of those who have chosen to serve the God of Abraham. I am a Christian.

If God asked me to leave my family in order to serve him, I would. In the Bible, Jesus asked his disciples to "put down their nets" and follow Him. They gave up lucrative careers to become followers of Christ.

If you take "Heaven" out of the equation, you would get the same answer from many believers. Nothing is to come before God. What was the first commandment? "You shall have no other gods before me." If one is a Christian or a religious Jew, a "god" that comes before our God includes *anything* we put before Him.

I am so sorry to say but I do not agree with you at all. Even if I would have believed in god I would have not sacrificed my family for him come what may. For me my family and my friends stands first. A god who asks for the sacrifice of family for his own worship will not be considered god by me. It is so great that I am a non-believer!

5. Make  Money profile image66
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

Yeah I think you misunderstood what the guy on the train was saying too packerpack.  He wasn't meaning to sacrifice his family.  He was meaning not to put anyone or anything before God, including your family.  The best scenario would be that our families think the same and we are to encourage that.

6. RKHenry profile image62
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

Hello!  I understood perfectly people.

I don't believe in God first of all.  And if I had to put something before the other choice [in this case parents], it would be me.  They have lived their lives.  They have made their choices. 

The only choice for me, is me.  Understand? Yes? No? I live for me.  I don't put my parents or any fairy tales before me.  Got it? ???

7. Everyday Miracles profile image85

RK, we each need to make the decisions in life that are right for us as individuals. I believe in God, and I am a very strong believer in Him and the power that comes from Him. I've been (in a sense) an unbeliever myself. Ultimately I made the decision that was right to me and led to true contentment in my life. I am not always happy, though oddly I get asked often "why are you so happy?"

My parents don't really factor onto my list of "people." God is my number one. Then my husband and then my daughter. The latter two both need me, and I intend to be there for them. But I do not live my life for them: I live my life for God.

Now for me, that is freeing. Someone else might find that restrictive. I did at first, in fact.

I am surprised that your parents do not feature in your list but it is a personal choice and I have no say in the matter. But interesting thing is that no one is actually there in your list! You don't care for your husband and daughter too! It sounds completely insane to me but as already said "it is a personal choice". Hope your husband and daughter knows that it is quite possible that you abandon them some day!

1. RKHenry profile image62
        RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why would you write something mean like this?  You knew damn good and well what Miracles intentions were, you just chose to be picky.  What's your deal?  Think you're cute?

Bad form. 

Let me guess, you call yourself a Christian.

Well how can you say what I knew and what I did not?? So you assumed that I have been understanding things but purposefully chose to be picky. Please don't assume things, I actually did not get her actual meaning nor did she understood me. But if you go through my last reply then you will know that things between me and Miracles are all cool now. So I would suggest you to please read all comments before you write a post. Am I clear now? And yes could you please clarify how being picky will make me cute?

And yes one more thing, you said "Let me guess, you call yourself a Christian" .... so did a guesswork again!!! is it that you always work on guesses and assumptions!!! No I am not a christian.... wrong guess!

2. mohitmisra profile image61

You are correct in your thinking.Trust god he will never harm you or ask you to harm anyone including your family  smile
      The Buddha left his family for God as he had  a higher purpose in life.

1. mohitmisra profile image61

Your deepest desires ares gods desires.

8. guidebaba profile image58
    guidebabaposted 14 years ago

PARENTS !!!

9. Everyday Miracles profile image85

I am not sure whether or not you read me wrong or you are choosing to be contrary.

My husband and my daughter *do* factor in my list. They simply come after God. Seeing as I believe that God does exist, I am doing as I feel is right, just as you are doing as you feel is right. We each make our personal choice where to follow. And ultimately we reap the consequences, positive or negative, for our choices and our actions.

My parents also come in on my list but I didn't go down that far on it. My immediate family needs to come first. They are my responsibility to care for. As a Christian, I believe that I was created to be a help meet to my husband. I am vital to him and he needs me. My daughter also needs me, and therefore she comes before my parents, who are adults who are currently capable of caring for themselves. I would not sacrifice my husband or my daughter for my parents, either. But that is my choice to make as well.

I care a great deal for my family and it is insulting that you would insinuate that I do not. I don't believe that such words are necessary and resorting to them tends to cause a discussion to degenerate into an argument (when there doesn't need to be an argument between intelligent people).

And for the record, my husband knows God comes before him. Just as God comes before me in his life.

First of all whatever I wrote was just to state my point and it wasn't targeted to insult you or anything.

You have explained your point very well but I stand by my point, "No matter what, my family and my loved ones stands first". It is because of my family that I am what I am today and it is not because of God. For me my loved ones stands first then me and then may be God! Sorry I may sound rude but it is not to hurt you.

10. Everyday Miracles profile image85

Text, as a medium in which to communicate thoughts and feelings, downright sucks. It's really hard to convey emotion in text and that's all that happened.

I understand your point.

Well I think you are correct. We both are opposite part of the same coin. Even though we may never meet each other (in terms of our ideology) but will always remain together. Good to know you understood my point. Hope other people around the world too had same intelligence as you have, world in that case would have been such a beautiful place! Take care

11. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I believe in God and whatever God would ask me to do, I don't believe nowadays he would ask us to sacrifice our families like a sacrificial lamb. I believe that what the meaning may have been but I certainly was not there, but if you had to choose between family and God which one will it be? I would choose God and pray that my family would follow. I can only lead them to the water but I cannnot make someone drink. Just my opinion. smile

Point taken but what happens to people when they are questioned about the existence of God? I ask this in the context that I am questioned first for not believing in God. This is what happened, the guy started the discussion and when I revealed that I am a non believer he started questioning me. Like the way he had some explanation favoring God, I too had some to oppose the same. So long he was questioning me it was all cool but the moment I fired back he started behaving strange.

I believe in "live and let live" but it has happened to me a number of times that people who believe in God get hell bent upon making me believe their logic with all sorts or examples. Why man why?? I have written about this in great detail in my Hub on God and religion.

1. AEvans profile image72
        AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You should read my response on the forum Jesus is Coming Back as it bothers me when people do that to others. True believers would not do that to a non-believer . When you get a chance read my comment as it may tickle your toes and I am a believer. It doesn't matter if you do not believe I like you anyway.smile

Well I will go through you response but it is good to know you are not like those empty heads who start shouting on the matter for no reason or just like to create an issue out of nothing!!!

1. AEvans profile image72
            AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It bothers me to if they poked their noses deeper in the word of God , that is not what Jesus would do. BDazzler, EddiePerkins, BarbiePerkins, and I can't think of all of them but there are some great Christians on HP who will not do that to others. smile

exactly this is what I want to say. Why is that people cannot be happy with their own life? There are many who has tendency to poke their nose into others business. Why do you do this, why do you follow that etc etc. They will never be content with what they are. If I don't want to follow someone or something, how it effect them? But at the same time it is good to know that there are some reasonable people around too.

12. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I'm just kind of picturing this type of scenario:  A parent may not be a believer and may do things that conflict with a grown kid's religion/faith.  The parent needs some kind of help and understanding; but the kid's religion teaches something that conflicts with helping the parent.  I vote for disregard the religion and help the parent.

I don't know whether or not you are a believer but your response is exactly what I believe in. How can your parents and loved ones become unimportant all of a sudden and that too for something that is so abstract?

13. jimmythejock profile image84
    jimmythejockposted 14 years ago

How can I choose? from a couple of dead alcoholics an a figment of the imagination, my life is my wife and my children they are here they are real and I would gladly give my life to ensure their safety......jimmy

Yo man! This is what we are here for; For our family, for our country, for fellow human beings and not for some figment of imagination. Rightly said man! My family is my responsibility and for God if I can sacrifice them who has been there always for me no matter what then what is the guarantee that I will be loyal to God too? I feel if someone is ready to sacrifice his family in the name of God then he/she is simply trying to get away from his/her responsibility.

14. Make  Money profile image66
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

I don't know what religion that would be that would ask someone to sacrifice their family.  It's definitely not Christian.

1. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But it is.Have a quick flick in the book. It is there.

People you have got confused between religion and God. Let me tell you something, religion was not made by God, ok. It is a man made thing (read my Hub "God Religion and Me:Religion for me"). But since you have posted it so let me reply in the same concept.

It doesn't matter which religion you follow, can't we people use our head before following anything written there. Just because it is written in that particular book, doesn't mean it has to be followed blindly. We appear to be so smart and tend to evaluate everything before going for it. Where does this attitude go when it comes to following things written in religious books. Why do we become so dumb!!??

1. earnestshub profile image79

I call it ignorance by choice.With a reasonable education anyone can raise above religion except for the terminally religious. Can't do a thing for em!

2. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah. The story of Abraham for one. I always thought that was nuts. I like the Bob Dylan verse about it in "Highway 61" though:

God said to Abraham 'Kill me a son!'
        Abe said, 'Man you must be puttin' me on!'
        God said 'No!'
        Abe said 'What?'
        God said, 'You can do what you want Abe but..
        The next time you see me comin', you better run!'
        So Abe said, 'Where you want this killing done?'
        And God said, 'Out on Highway 61.'

It would be a lot more fun to believe in God if he wasn't always portrayed as such a dick. smile

1. Make  Money profile image66
          Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Man you people can sure spin a line. lol

Abraham is in the Old Testament or Jewish Bible.  You know, long before the first coming of Jesus Christ.  There is no blood sacrifice needed now cause Jesus Christ was the sacrificial Lamb when He died on the cross.

2. earnestshub profile image79

Bob Dylan was not just a pretty face.... hang on, I mean he was never a pretty face, but he could always think through the bull.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)