jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (22 posts)

Will We Send Missionaries To Mars?

1. Quilligrapher profile image91
    Quilligrapherposted 8 years ago

On the evening of July 2, 1947, a farmer living in a desolate region of the southwest USA heard a loud explosion.  The following morning he found wreckage that he promptly reported to the local sheriff.  What was really found that day near Roswell, New Mexico is still debated. Sixty years later, the truth remains under a shroud of confusion, rumor, and controversy.  Less then a week ago, former NASA astronaut and Apollo 14 crewman Edgar Mitchell appeared at the National Press Club in Washington, DC and stated that life exists on other planets and that the proof is being withheld by the US and other governments. 

UFO forums are everywhere on the Internet so there is no point in bringing that debate here.  However, I was wondering about another aspect of the Roswell incident.  Would religion, as we now know it, survive after the discovery of intelligent life on another planet?  Would the Bible and other religious scripture support or reject such a discovery?  Would there be a need to re-interpret the belief that man was created in God's image and likeness?  Would mankind unite and would boarders dissolve if we knew there might be a common enemy out there?

I would like to hear your opinion.

Q.

1. earnestshub profile image88
      earnestshubposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I'm still dreaming of a scene like the one in "A hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" when it comes to missionaries, put them all on another planet!

2. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
      GeneriqueMediaposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Hmmm...saw an interesting episode of Star Trek: TNG once kinda dealing with this issue.

I think religion will be maintained in some shape or form no matter what. As far as sounding missionaries to another planet? I doubt it'd work, but please, please send them anyway.

I suppose it would work if we found a less advanced culture.
      "Any technology not sufficiently understood is perceived as magic."

Hmm...reminds me a lot about Biblical texts and other religious things...

2. futonfraggle profile image82
    futonfraggleposted 8 years ago

Quill, it sort of makes you wonder why the pope said "it's okay to believe in Aliens" last year. Doesn't it? According to the vatican spokesperson, God loves all of his creatures and that includes life on other planets. What do I think? I don't know...

I thought it was funny that Thornton "T.D." Barnes, (former special-projects engineer at Area 51) came out of the woodwork (AFTER Edgar Mitchells spoke) to say there were no spacecrafts. He claims they were "top secret spy planes being flown at 2,000 miles per hour at altitudes of 90,000 feet."

3. Quilligrapher profile image91

Thanks for your comment, Futonfraggle.  Yes, it does make me wonder.
    Q.

4. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 8 years ago

Beter than a common enemy would be a common friend. Why do we so often assume that any alien life form would be out to get us?

1. Jewels profile image80
      Jewelsposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Good question.  Is it TV ratings?

1. earnestshub profile image88

You betcha!

2. futonfraggle profile image82
      futonfraggleposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Crop circles, anal probes, cattle mutilations, abductions, we never hear the nice things wink

1. Jewels profile image80
        Jewelsposted 8 years ago in reply to this

But crop circles look pretty.

5. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 8 years ago

I really do not think if there are life forms on other planets they are out to get us.  I have seen some weird light formations in the night sky that are unexplainable, but these are probably just planes flying overhead.  Still, a couple of things were too odd to explain.

6. Quilligrapher profile image91

Thanks, Ernestshub, for your comment.

7. Quilligrapher profile image91

I totally agree, Paraglider.  Perhaps this reaction is based more on a fear of the unknown then on reason.

8. Quilligrapher profile image91

Thank you, Jewels.  Good answer!

9. Quilligrapher profile image91

Thanks for stopping by and for sharing, SweetiePie.

10. Quilligrapher profile image91

Does anyone think that religious beliefs would be jolted somewhat, or not at all, by irrefutable evidence of other intelligent life forms?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image88
      Rochelle Frankposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Might depend on what their religion is.

Jesus told people to go into all of the world. As far as I know,He didn't mention space.

11. David Bowman profile image60
    David Bowmanposted 8 years ago

I don't know if any extraterrestrail life-forms are aware of us, if any even exist; but if they do, I would say that our affinity for war and superstitious beliefs would probably keep them from revealing themselves to us. They probably recieved some broadcasts from TBN and thought to themselves "maybe in about a thousand more years."

1. Quilligrapher profile image91
      Quilligrapherposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Hi David.  Do you think a thousand years will be enough?

2. earnestshub profile image88

Good call David.

12. Quilligrapher profile image91
  13. David Bowman profile image60
    David Bowmanposted 8 years ago

Hard to say. If we don't destroy ourselves first, we may stand a decent chance of being worthy of a visit from our universal neighbors by about that time.

working