If You Were Made The Pope, The Most Immediate Change You Would Make Is To Allow

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (21 posts)
  1. ngureco profile image80
    ngurecoposted 14 years ago

If You Were Made The Pope, The Most Immediate Change You Would Make Is To Allow Priests Get Married?

2. Anti-Valentine profile image74
    Anti-Valentineposted 14 years ago

Probably yes. It would stop those catholic priests from getting in the news all the time.

3. Hiperion profile image61
    Hiperionposted 14 years ago

No, i don´t think Priests should get merry.
    For that situation already exhists another type of person. A married person may do almost all the things a Priest does, with only some limitations, if he study for that.
    It´s better this way: that persons may merry, a real Priest shouldn´t.

4. xLMTPx profile image57
    xLMTPxposted 14 years ago

I wouldn't allow priests to get married. One of the things they promise to do is to remain in chastity. I think this is something important to do. I know St. Therese was never a priest, but she was a nun and nuns make the same vow of chastity. I remember she would call herself, "The Bride". She served God. And the reason why priest don't marry is Jesus wasn't married. He served God as a virgin never married. If you are thinking of getting married, you can always be ordained as a Deacon. That's if and only if God is calling you to do this.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Priest used to be allowed to  marry but it was banned in the 4th century. As was allowing women to become priests. However, by the 15th century only 50% of priests were unmarried.

Also, Orthodox priests are still allowed to marry.

6. lmpowelljr profile image41
    lmpowelljrposted 14 years ago

I do not have sources so to speak, but after speaking with a former Catholic, friend of mine.  She shared with me that Priests used to be allowed to marry, but the church changed it due to property rights or something after a priest died. 

Before I become someone's target, I am admitting that I do not know if this is true and haven't found it documented anywhere, but just wanted to write what I have heard.

After trying to look it up, I've found many other possibilities.

The Bible is clear that a person should marry as opposed to burn with lust.

1 Corinthians 7:9 (New King James Version)
    9 but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

7. Miss D profile image60
    Miss Dposted 14 years ago

It would certainly be on my 'must do' list, along with allowing women to become priests, excommunicating priests guilty of paedophilia and giving my blessing to the use of condoms in order to curb the spreading of STDs. I would also put a stop to the condemnation of homosexuals - somehow I don't think I'd ever get to be pope with these views, even if I was the right sex!

8. yes2truth profile image60
    yes2truthposted 14 years ago

I am a son of God, so how could I be made Pope? It would be impossible.

One has to be a counterfeiter - a man of religion with the sole desire to make lots of money in order to be made Pope.

If priests knew their Bible they would marry and tell the Pope to go take a run and jump!!

Peter the Apostle was married and had children by that marriage.

9. HOOWANTSTONO profile image60
    HOOWANTSTONOposted 14 years ago

I would shut down the Institution, loose all the stupid clothes and open up the best Gospel preaching place in the world. Take the money and start farms in Africa, so Europe doesn't have to supply charity without real getting dirty stuff. Build hospitals without politics, and create the worlds biggest African Evangelist movement preaching the Gospel.

Unfortunately, or maybe Fortunately God is going to Destroy Rome and the Catholic Institution, and do this whole thing anyway.
    Praise God

10. Gregory Luther profile image61
    Gregory Lutherposted 14 years ago

A priest can be married,just not in the Roman Rite.  There are plenty of other rites in the Church where priests may be married.  In the Roman Rite the priest stands in persona Christi and as such stands in the same state as Christ, which is single.

11. MomintheMiddle profile image61
    MomintheMiddleposted 14 years ago

There is a reason why priests have been asked to abstain from having a romantic life. I've come to believe that God had a plan and this is wisdom. They should not be distracted from leading a church, or the other work they do, by personal issues. I would encourage my priest to seek help for his worldly desires or if he did not feel that he wanted help for it, he consider that his calling was not true and he should depart the priesthood, at least not remain Catholic.
    Look, I came to this church late but one thing I can tell you the true Catholic believes: this church table is not spread with a buffet where you can pick and choose what you want. This is a table with a dinner, and you take it all or don't eat nothing.

12. FedRes profile image62
    FedResposted 14 years ago

I was told by a man in seminary school that priests could once get married, and that the only reason the church stopped it was because they didn't want to have to pay for a priest's wife's expenses, travelling for missionary services and such.

I don't know the facts, but it sounds like a frugal business decision, and the Catholic church is the richest business in the world.

13. topgunjager profile image61
    topgunjagerposted 14 years ago

If I was the Pope, I'll sell all my bling and my castle because every little bit helps the needy and I'm not going to let the priests be transferred to another church when they get caught having sex with children and cover it up=)

14. Shafron's World profile image60
    Shafron's Worldposted 14 years ago

The Catholic Church is not going to abandon its position on celibacy as requirement for the priesthood any time soon.

While married priests were ordained in the earliest days of the Church, they were special cases - not the norm.  Married priests were expected to remain celibate, but there was no specific vow that required them to do so.

After the Church realized that many married priests were not celibate, the practice changed to ordain only single men who had to vow to lifelong celibacy.

The most pressing change I would make would be to put greater emphasis on teaching priests the proper way to handle their sexual urges and give them the help and support they need to remain celibate.

See Wikipedia article:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerical_celibacy_(Catholic_Church)

15. profile image58
    Joseph Tposted 14 years ago

The priest who was chosen among us, the best among us to
    serve God, the Church, and the religional community. I think the priest should not marry if he want to serve God and people with the best he has

16. profile image48
    bretya craneposted 14 years ago

Jesus chose Peter to be the Bishop of Rome - The First Pope.  He was married.  The Popes which came after are all single.  Jesus said at the time to leave mother, father everything and following me. That is why all future popes are single.  Jesus people nowadays could have chosen a single man but chose Simon later called Peter.  Jesus - Son of God like God works in a mystery way.  That is why Catholic Priests are single.  Something which people find difficult.

Popes are chosen when they are older not younger.  Therefore men should think longer before they enter into the priesthood.  There has to be self control.   

Simon called Peter ws married not Jesus.

As for popes being single yes they will continue to be so like priests.  Mary - Virgin Mother of God spoke to children in Yugoslavia years ago and whether she commented of this no one knows yet as nothing by them has been told to the public unless I have heard it myself.  They have to be careful as they can only say what she told them. Especially when they speak on television. 

Perhaps she did give them an answer but it is for them to keep it to themselves.  Some questions are private - kept only to the children she spoke to.

17. profile image0
    loriamooreposted 14 years ago

There is a reason why priests are not allowed to marry.

Although I'm not a Catholic, my understanding of priests is that their first priority is to God.  With a family or spouse, their interests would be divided. 

Plus, once a priest or nun devotes himself or herself to their calling, they never own possessions and are fully supported (food, clothing, housing) by the Catholic Church.  The Catholic church isn't prepared to support families and it would be difficult for children and non-pastoral spouses to accept not owning anything.

I know several Christian men and women who aren't dating right now because they want to first focus on their relationships with God and they know that a dating relationship could potentially distract them.

18. fyxer profile image59
    fyxerposted 14 years ago

If i was the pope i the first thing i would do is change the laws so all the priests could marry if they so desire,where did this idea come from that a priest cannot devote his life to the lord and have a family at the same time,millions of men all over the world do that everyday,before a man becomes a priest he was a man,after he becomes a priest he is still a man.

19. terced ojos profile image60
    terced ojosposted 13 years ago

The Eunuchs who are made Eunuchs by God are called to priesthood. The power of lust is greatly diminished in these individuals because they have been spiritually set apart for service to God.

Following the Creed of Nicea a great corruption entered the church and the decisions of men replaced the decisions of God.

The church would build a foundation on the sand of human wisdom and not on the Holy Spirit of the living God.

The priesthood would become a man made office as opposed to a divine appointment of God; hence all the priests unable to control their desires for women.

Celibacy is a spiritual gift from God and men who have received this gift have been set apart by God to be priest.

The sexual relationship is one in which you are giving so much of yourself and energy to.  For the priest this energy along with all of the priests energies are given to God for the service of the church; that the priest, pastor, reverend may receive greater spiritual discernment and direction for the congregation.

20. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 13 years ago

In The Holy Bible it is written and spoken by Jesus, "You cannot serve two masters."

The Catholic Church saw this as meaning, that the church and the congregation of a priest deserved 100% of the priest's undevided attention and that having a wife and a family would detract from the priest's responsibilities to his parish, seeing the wife and family responsibilities as a second master so to speak.

Hopes that makes a little sense out of this question.

Brother Dave.

21. profile image54
    T J J Elliottposted 7 years ago

I feel that this is a very challenging question to answer. As someone who has done a lot of studying into the Catholic Church, when a pope dies, the cardinals all gather and elect one man, usually one of them (however there have been cases of external nominations).

The issue I have with the nature of this question is that when you are nominated for pope, you don't run in the same way one would for president or prime minister. You don't create a platform of "This is what I promise you if I am elected!". You may be asked questions by the cardinals on topics such as your values, what you hold as more important, or even on your personal philosophy, but you do not create campaigns.

To say "If I was pope, the first thing I would do is to change this!" is quite improper. You could say "If I was pope, I would gather a council to look at the possibility of married priests," but not something definitive. The pope actually doesn't have unlimited power. The pope has the right to veto certain actions, but only to allow the maintenance of current teachings. An example is the publication of the encyclical letter "Humanae Vitae". A council of people were gathered in order to discuss whether or not the Church would uphold it's teachings on contraception. The majority report (the majority vote) said that the Church would change it's teachings on contraception, allowing it. Pope Paul VI, who was on the side of the minority report, vetoed it and decided to maintain the original teaching. If the next pope decided that he was on the side of married priests, he could not just "legalize it" in the same way that countries would legalize a new drug or service. He would have to order a council and they would have to have the majority report accept allowing married priests. If the majority report chose to uphold the teaching on celibate priests, the pope could not just veto it and change the teachings.

There are other rites in the Catholic Church that do allow for married priesthood, such as the Byzantine Catholics, just not the Roman Catholic rite.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)