jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Can anyone justify Siddhartha's plight from wife and child to pursue enlightenme

1. dohn121 profile image82
    dohn121posted 8 years ago

Can anyone justify Siddhartha's plight from wife and child to pursue enlightenment?

2. fortunerep profile image81
    fortunerepposted 8 years ago

I am reading this book, don't give it away!!
    dori

3. rcisophie profile image55
    rcisophieposted 8 years ago

Siddhartha went away from his house, leaving wife and child, not only to pursue enlightenment for itself and for himself. We did it because he was trying to understand and overcome suffering in order to teach others also - he was looking for a greater good.
    So in one way we can say that it was for love of his family (and also all humankind) that he went by this path.
    As metaphor leaving the family is giving away all the relations, connections and circumstances of this life and being aware that all are impermanent and illusion.
    That doesn't mean they're not important, it means we need to be abble to get free when the time comes.

4. ganbat profile image53
    ganbatposted 8 years ago

Easiest Answer would be : He left for greater purpose for all mankind and etc etc,

But we always tend to forget that he did came back to his father's home to see his wife and child after the enlightenment,then some time after they followed his path and his wife became a nun and his son became arhat,too which clearly shows what was his intention after all, i guess

5. spirituality profile image60
    spiritualityposted 7 years ago

I don't think this question is about the novel by Herman Hesse: that Siddhartha didn't leave his wife and child. He did leave his mistress and his child though.

If this question is about Siddharta the future Buddha, I think the answer is that within that cultural context he had done his duty by fathering a child.

And since the child was left with people who he knew would take good care of it, it's not that big a deal even by today's standards I don't think. Now if he'd left the mother to fend for herself, that would be an ethical issue. But the mother was well taken care of in his father's house while he went off to look for enlightenment.

6. profile image60
    paarsurreyposted 4 years ago

It is very cruel to leave the wife and child.
    Enlightenment has no relationship with this act; it is unbecoming of a Buddha to do such a thing.
    I think it is a made-up story attributed to Buddha.

1. profile image60
      paarsurreyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Mirza Ghulam Ahmad- the Promised Messiah says:
      Quote“Among the testimonies contained in Buddhist records is the evidence mentioned on page 419 of Buddhism by Oldenberg14. In this book, on the authority of the book namedMahawaga page 54, section 1, it

working