jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

When Jesus turned water into wine, does that encourage drinking?

1. profile image35
    4sommposted 8 years ago

When Jesus turned water into wine, does that encourage drinking?

This has always been refernced by chritians who tend to love drinking.

2. Silver Poet profile image76
    Silver Poetposted 8 years ago

The wine in the days of Christ had a very low alcohol content and you would have to sit and drink it all night to get drunk from it.  It is not an excuse to partake of a drink that is deliberately spiked with a high alcohol content.  The two are not the same.

Whether or not to drink is between the individual and his or her Creator.  I personally think a lot of accidents would be prevented by not drinking, and that alcoholics wouldn't be in the fix they're in if they never took that first taste of the stuff.

You know what they say about an ounce of prevention...

3. M Cassian profile image57
    M Cassianposted 8 years ago

Jesus did drink wine. But the thing that the bible warns us about is drunkenness and "indulging in strong drink." I personally love popping cap on a bottle of Blue Moon or New Castle when I get home from work. Once I think I've had enough, I stop. It's the abuse of alcohol that is the bad thing. If someone is using the fact that Jesus drank wine as an excuse to get drunk, I'm sorry but, their living in hypocrisy.

Grace to you!

4. chinweike profile image69
    chinweikeposted 7 years ago

What Jesus did was out of pity. He didn't want the host to be put to shame. And besides, drinking a little wine (alcohol) is not a sin.
    Cheers!

Closed to reply

working