jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How do you know that you're alive and not simply existing?

1. Kpeace profile image56
    Kpeaceposted 8 years ago

How do you know that you're alive and not simply existing?

2. terced ojos profile image65
    terced ojosposted 8 years ago

I know that I'm alive and not simply existing because when I punch you in the face Kpeace you scream.

3. profile image0
    Georgiana85posted 8 years ago

You can never know that, if you want you can explain all by chemistry, pain, sorrow, happiness, they don't really exist as facts but as states of mind and chemical/biological reactions. If dreams are a state of mind, and they are not real, why should reality be real? What is reality?
    You know your alive when you created your own universe around you and defined what's real for you and what's not, but that doesn't make it real for everybody. We are simply the product of our imaginations, some have a grater one and do great things, some don't. In a real world we would be the dreams. smile

4. Kpeace profile image56
    Kpeaceposted 8 years ago

terced ojos..... Why do you answer the question with negativity? I treat every man, woman and child with respect first in order to get it back... thats how it works and if I dont get  it back then I move on and try to set an example.. thats not an easy thing sometimes and thats one way I know Im alive and not just existing...

5. Obscurely Diverse profile image59
    Obscurely Diverseposted 8 years ago

Of course, we can only compare and contrast this notion in comparison to our current surroundings, but on that note:  Human emotion, endless imagination and the complexity of our thoughts, is enough proof for me.

In the past,  I despised this question, as I've heard it many times before.  But really, how can you contemplate existing while not being alive?  To simplify things:  Life equals consciousness of your own awareness via an unknown energy source.

As for the degree of vivaciousness, if healthy and able, that is up to you......

6. RevLady profile image60
    RevLadyposted 8 years ago

How do you know that you're alive and not simply existing? Well, one way to know, I think, is whether or not one's life has purpose, a goal, plans. If a life has no purpose for living, then in  my mind, that is a life that is only existing without a meaningful reason for living.  Martin Luther King Jr. said, "If a man hasn't discovered something he is willing to die for (passion, purpose), he  is not fit to live." Just a thought. Be blessed.

Forever His,

7. cjhunsinger profile image74
    cjhunsingerposted 8 years ago

What would be the difference between the two?