jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What makes one an atheist?

1. Shil1978 profile image93
    Shil1978posted 7 years ago

What makes one an atheist?

2. starx profile image66
    starxposted 7 years ago

Rational thinking and skeptical approach makes one an atheist. But this question is suitable for forums cause here many people will give negative or over-confident replies which is not suitable in question & answer format.

3. magx01 profile image59
    magx01posted 7 years ago

Quite simply, the lack of a belief in god(s)/deities.

That's really it.

Unless of course you are after the process by wchich one arrives at such a position. If so, well, that's multifaceted and perssonal.

For me, I can tell you, without any smugness on my part, that it was simply an evidenciary/logical road to atheism....well, not really a road, as it's really the default axiomatic position, and I was never convinced by any of the theistic claims. I was always an atheist, despite the attempt by my parents to indoctrinate me into catholiscism.

4. diabetesreporter profile image79
    diabetesreporterposted 7 years ago

A brief overview and definition of modern atheism from a Christian point of view. read more

5. profile image0
    Tom Maitlandposted 7 years ago

Becoming an Atheist means you do not believe in deities/gods in any form and completely reject the idea of such notions.

However, being an Atheist isn't necessarily a complete rejection of religion / world-views. Many atheists subscribe to philosophies such as humanism (big in the post WWII era), rationalism and naturalism. Interestingly enough, some factions of Buddhism have also been labeled Atheist as they do not believe in gods/supernatural.

Atheism differs from Agnosticism in that it is an outright disbelief whereas  Agnostics simply believe there is no scientific proof that such deities exist, and hence don't.

Atheists generally stand for and advocate rationalism, non-religious rights, offer science as an alternative to God-based religion. I know here in Australia, Atheist groups advocate on removing the tax-free status of the church.

So as you can see, it's not a simple thing, and includes many different people!

6. profile image51
    stuarttulips097posted 7 years ago

For me, I can tell you, without any smugness on my part, that it was simply an evidenciary/logical road to atheism....

7. dabeaner profile image55
    dabeanerposted 7 years ago

Intelligence and an unwillingness to suffer fools and foolish beliefs gladly.

Belief in Dog is the sign of a weak and primitive mind, no matter how articulate or otherwise "intelligent" a person may appear to be.

Since the natural state is atheism -- one is born an atheist and then usually indoctrinated into a belief system -- the question should be what psychological weakness makes most people succumb to the indoctrination and become believers in Dog and religions.

working