jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What does it mean to experience a "dark night of the soul"?

1. Ken R. Abell profile image82
    Ken R. Abellposted 7 years ago

What does it mean to experience a "dark night of the soul"?

2. Robwrite profile image84
    Robwriteposted 7 years ago

It means to experience a period of loneliness and desolation, where you lose all your faith in whatever you used to believe in. The term came originally from a 16th century Spanish poem called "La Noche oscura del alma," which was about the arduous journey and hardships a soul goes through on the night it leaves its body, trying to find it's way to heaven.

In the Christian tradition, this phrase has come to man a crisis of faith and a lose of belief in God. To a more secular person, it might refer to period where life seems meaningless and lonely.

3. Mayaanjali profile image74
    Mayaanjaliposted 7 years ago

When I learnt about mysticism I was told  that it was one of the stages of mysticism in Christianity right before ecstacy of finding sudden light.

4. Dorothee-Gy profile image70
    Dorothee-Gyposted 7 years ago

As I know it, it means a period in the life of most humans when all foundations seem to crumble and everything seems to fall apart.

It is a important moment in each persons life's, since it opens the door to a transformation of beliefs and a tremendous growth process. Most people get out of it stronger then they were before.

5. lambservant profile image95
    lambservantposted 6 years ago

The term "dark night of the soul" has been attributed to many different people. I think all of your responders are right. I don't think it is something one can define as every other. To me, the dark night of the soul is deep despair, hopelessness, loneliness, and sprititual dryness.