jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What does everybodies thought of Acts 2:38?

1. yankeeintexas profile image60
    yankeeintexasposted 7 years ago

What does everybodies thought of Acts 2:38?

Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

2. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 7 years ago

I don't understand your question about ACTS:2:38 it is self explanitory repent confessing you have sinned. Be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins and you will receive the gifts of the Holy Spirit. What is your confussion with this scripture.

3. profile image61
    hctposted 7 years ago

There are two important matters mentioned in this verse pertaining to a person's salvation. In order to be saved as Peter told them this:

1. One must repent
    2. Be baptized in the name of Jesus

The baptism of water is for the remission of one's sin

The importance of receiving the holy spirit is explained else where.

4. hanging out profile image56
    hanging outposted 7 years ago

The verse in the king james reads "gift of the holy ghost". This is much different that a plural giftS... because then we are talking about the 'Gifts of the spirit' mentioned in 1 Corinthians 12:8 not to be confused with the fruits of the spirit in Galatians 5:22.

The gift of the holy ghost is the also the baptism of the holy ghost, only pentecostalism understands this further baptism which jesus spoke of in
    Matthew 20:22   But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.
    and
    Mark 1:8   I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.
    This was the empowerment that peter received in acts 2 when they all spoke in tongues.

Repent comes first, then the further act of being dunked in water and then the holy ghost baptism. It rather makes sense since jesus also said
    John 16:7   Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter (H.G.) will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

hope this helps

5. mjane24 profile image61
    mjane24posted 7 years ago

Repent ye,and because you repented from sin ye are baptized because you recieve remissions of sin through Jesus.Does not mean ye are baptize in the name of Jesus.

6. peterxdunn profile image59
    peterxdunnposted 7 years ago

I recently found out that St Peter (my aim is true) was the first anti-aircraft-artilleryman. He shot down Simon Magus as he flew, miraculously, over Rome.

working