jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

If money is the root of all evil, why do churches want it so badly?

1. cheapskatemate profile image61
    cheapskatemateposted 7 years ago

If money is the root of all evil, why do churches want it so badly?

2. pisean282311 profile image61
    pisean282311posted 7 years ago

to get to the root...on serious notes..money is not root of evil..lack of it is..one must hugely promote money making..money is wonderful thing to have and it gives one leverage to cause larger good for man kind too..one needs money to build hospital , sponsor research , build schools and such things..idea of money is root of evil is flawed and must be replaced with money is great thing to have...

3. JillKostow profile image87
    JillKostowposted 7 years ago

I am of protestant faith and I believe for my church they use the money from the offering and fund raisers to help in paying the bills for keeping our church.  They also use the money to help others in need or to send the children of the churh to camp and other activities.  I do not feel that my church wants the money "badly" but instead needs the money "badly".  The congregation in dwindling but in return the bills are not.  The heating, water, electric, and general maintanence expenses all need to be paid some how.  I can not speak for all churches but that is how I feel about my church.

4. profile image0
    Richard Stephenposted 7 years ago

You are painting with a mighty broad brush here.  Is it really fair to lump all churches together with this statement?  Money itself isn't the problem, it is the love of money.  The complete quotation which you cited in your question is:

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.  - 1 Tim 6:10

The verse itself answers your question.  People that pursue money rather than God have wandered from the faith.  Churches are made up of people and all people are susceptible to the allure of money or any other vice for that matter. 

People of faith, any faith, are just held to a higher standard because they subject themselves to that standard by their profession of faith.  People don't look down as much on an atheist who wantonly pursues money because they don't profess to be above it but is it really any better?  Just my 2 cents...

5. amsmoving profile image57
    amsmovingposted 7 years ago

It's the love of money, not just money itself.

6. NoRR4Me profile image82
    NoRR4Meposted 7 years ago

Actually, the Bible does not say "money is the root of all evil". It says the LOVE of money is the root of all evil.

The LOVE of money is the root of all evil because many people would (and do) do just about anything to get it including lie, steal, cheat, harm, even murder.

Money itself is neither good nor evil. It can be used to do good such as feed, clothe, and help people. It can also be used for evil.

Churches should rely more on God to supply their needs instead of being so focused on raising money. However, every organization that calls itself a Church isn't a true Biblical Church.

7. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

you actually answered your own question. kind of ironic but true.

working