jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

Is the love of money the root of all evil or the lack of?

1. Edoka Writes profile image61
    Edoka Writesposted 7 years ago

Is the love of money the root of all evil or the lack of?

2. John B Badd profile image61
    John B Baddposted 7 years ago

Money begets greed and jealousy.  Greed and jealousy are  two of the primary causes of evil.  Money in itself is only a representation of work done to be bartered for goods and services in itself it cannot be evil it is only what we make of it.

That being said I think it is safe to say money is the root of most evil.  wink

Lack of money is only a condition of being.  It is your state of mind that determines what affect lack of money is going to have on your life.  Humans need food, shelter and companionship.  You can get this on minimum wage, everything else is desire and it is sought after due to greed and jealousy.

3. msorensson profile image73
    msorenssonposted 7 years ago

It does not have to be money...attachment to anything creates an addiction which causes the suffering...The First Noble Truth.

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

I'd say that. . . .who was it?  Paul?  I'd say that the person was correct, the love of money is the root of all evil.  Of course money is not evil, merely the misplaced affection, and we call this "greed," is the problem.

5. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

humans are the root of evil. though we love to blame other things like money and satan, were responsible for the evil in this world.

6. tenordj profile image78
    tenordjposted 7 years ago

I believe money and the love of material things are the roots of evil. While having money and material possesions in itself are not evil things. Its when we let those items become what drives us and our desires. It causes humans to do things that they would not normally do, be it over greed or envy.

7. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

I think that is an assumption and simplification.  Greed is different than love of money or lack of it.  So I would suggest that greed can be a cause of evil but not the only cause.  Love of money can be quite healthy.  Lack of money is not directly linked to evil at all for most.  It may lead to a less fulfilling life but many lead evil free lives while living in poverty.

Jealousy is a terrible thing and leads to much evil and has nothing at all to do directly with money.

Vanity is another source of evil.

Insanity is another source of evil.

Ignorance is another source of evil.

Religious beliefs  are a huge source of evil.

8. Jarn profile image74
    Jarnposted 7 years ago

Money is inherently worthless. It only has value because people agree it does. What we desire and hunger for is what money represents: security. Resources of this world are limited, and so we all must compete for them. Having money means we can trade it in for goods and services at a later date, meaning we trick ourselves into thinking that we will never want for resources. Of course, this only works so long as society stays stable enough for money to serve a purpose. So, no, money is not the root of all evil. Human desire is. We desire, be it for the security of our loved ones or just for our own selfish ends. And that desire has sublimated into a lust for legal tender.

9. Claudin_Dayo profile image60
    Claudin_Dayoposted 7 years ago

either of the two leads to something bad.. . the love for money which causes a man to be selfish and the lack of money which causes man to do something evil to suffice that lack. But mind you it'll be in a man's choices if he commits one or not smile

10. lostdogrwd profile image59
    lostdogrwdposted 7 years ago

a good amount of people live on very few dollars a years and never miss it. so it has to be the love of money the love of women too is also the root of evil. money, women, and coveting are what all wars are for. damm nightwork4, can't say I disagree with you

11. HOOWANTSTONO profile image59
    HOOWANTSTONOposted 7 years ago

Love of money is the root of all evil. Even the poor love money and look where it takes them.

Luk 18:25 For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

12. KevinStyles profile image58
    KevinStylesposted 7 years ago

There is more people who are not evil and have money, those that do not have it will stray to a life of crime. When have you heard of someone like bill gates robbing a person in the streets of new york?

desperate times calls for desperate measures

working