jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What to do when in a catch 22?

1. mandyf profile image66
    mandyfposted 7 years ago

What to do when in a catch 22?

any hypethetical will do

2. profile image0
    TechTrendyposted 7 years ago

According to Occams Razor 'the simplest explanation is usually the correct one." Replace explanation with solution and plan your path that involves the least trouble and avoids injury/harm/hurt feelings to both parties.

3. A la carte profile image58
    A la carteposted 7 years ago

You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. This is a situation which cannot be resolved. You want something but by asking for it the rules say you do not need it because you are asking therefore cannot have it, although you DO need it.

4. Nick B profile image82
    Nick Bposted 7 years ago

TechTrendy seems to have overlooked the nature of a catch 22 situation: You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.
    The whole point of calling a situation a 'catch 22' is that either way out is potentially wrong and often means having to choose between the lesser of two evils. Yet whilst making that decision, just which is the 'lesser' seems to be a very grey area and no amount of logic applied appears to lessen one from the other.
    More often than not, the decision rests upon a moral dilemma.
    "Do I tell her I saw him cheating on her, even though I know she thinks I want him for myself?"
    Option one: Tell her. She refuses to speak to you again, never forgiving you for poking your nose in where it's not wanted.
    Option two: you don't tell her and she finds out later that you knew, but didn't tell her and refuses to speak to you again.
    Alright, the above situation is a bit lame and is riddled with insecurities. However, it DOES illustrate the nature of a catch 22, where the only change in outcome between the only two apparent options, is in time it takes to arrive at the inevitable outcome and possibly the amount of damage done to the friendship between the two girls.

5. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 7 years ago

To escape or avoid a catch 22 situation, do nothing.

6. misterdiggs profile image57
    misterdiggsposted 7 years ago

I typically multiply by 3 because I'm gonna catch all kinds of hell regardless.