jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

For Atheists: do you feel happy knowing there is no god and how can you be sure

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image82
    schoolgirlforrealposted 7 years ago

For Atheists: do you feel happy knowing there is no god and how can you be sure until you die?

2. Matthew Rogerson profile image56
    Matthew Rogersonposted 7 years ago

Although I do not reject the possibility of mjane24's answer, I also do not accept that this is in fact what will happen to atheists. In essence this answers your question; it is impossible to be sure that God does not exist and this uncertainty may also remain after your death. Eqaully, even for a theist it is impossible to know if God 100% exists, no matter how much faith you have in him. Ultimately the argument works in both ways, neither existance or non-existance can be proven. An athiest could be happy to accept Gods non-existance based on the fact that they are content with the lives they lead now. This in turn means they will enjoy their family, friends and material possesions in this life and not worry about the afterlife untill they are faced with it in many years. Hope this helps.

3. Jaymeyaroch profile image61
    Jaymeyarochposted 7 years ago

There is no happiness to be gained from the rejection of a hypothesis, nor is their sadness.  It is merely what it is, a rejection of a theory.

Atheists do not simply reject the Christian God, or religion, they reject the premises on which religions are founded.

A-theism: reality without higher powers, without ideals of humanity, heaven, or hell.  It is a reality based upon the idea that we are simply what we are, when we are, and what we are not when we are gone.

Christians have difficulties detaching themselves from their religion, and that is why questions like this one exist.  It is not that atheists hate God, or dislike religion, they simply cannot attach themselves to an existence based upon illogical and unproven ideas.

Just the same, many atheists reject common principles in advanced science, like the Big Bang Theory, or String Theory, because there is no satisfying proof of their existence.

In the eyes of an atheist, God and the Big Bang could be the same thing, a theory.

And when an atheist thinks about death, they do so with the reality that there is nothing after wards.  So the real question is how can you care about something once you are dead?

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

it's not a matter of happiness or sadness. it's just reality to me. no one can be sure of anything but in my mind and my heart i no i have nothing to worry about. death is a fact of life so since i can't change that i don't worry about it.
    just say god was real, there isn't one chance i'd ever worship him anyway. he's no better then satan . if what is going on in this world is because of two supreme beings then they are both as bad as the other. thankfully that's not the case so again i have no worries.

5. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 7 years ago

Do theists feel happy knowing that they have latched on to one specific belief system out of the many thousands, perhaps millions, that have existed?  How can you be sure until you die that you have not been breaking all the rules of the REAL god?

Your question is just one more iteration of Pascal's wager. If you want more refutations, Google it.

6. ptosis profile image81
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4261220_f260.jpg

What makes you think through death that all your Questions will be answered?  How about living with Mystery: finding God in the midst of unanswered questions - Some  people offer best guesses while others admit that they just made up a purpose for life.

All of us are afraid of being insignificant but the universe doesn't care what you believe. All experiences and meanings are created within our minds. The objective universe does not “see” any “meaning”, it simply is. In an infinite universe anything is possible and everything is inevitable.

From "The Hitchhiker's guide"

"Reason not withstanding, the universe continues unabated. Its history is terribly long and awfully difficult to understand, even in its simpler moments which are, roughly speaking, the beginning and the end. The wave harmonic theory of historical perception, in its simplest form, states that history is an illusion caused by the passage of time, and that time is an illusion caused by the passage of history. It also states that one's perception of these illusions is conditioned by three important factors: who you are; where you are; and when you last had lunch with Zaphod Beeblebrox.

7. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 7 years ago

How are you sure that you will see "A god" when you die?  Why do people think that they are better than others because of their religious beliefs

Closed to reply

working