jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you believe the phenomenon referred to as "Sleep Paralysis" is an event that

1. kentuckyslone profile image85
    kentuckysloneposted 7 years ago

Do you believe the phenomenon referred to as "Sleep Paralysis" is an event that is normal or...

paranormal?

2. Jaggedfrost profile image79
    Jaggedfrostposted 7 years ago

since I believe that everything that happens, happens within a definite set of rules and can be explained by those rules, I would have to say that the question of normalcy is up in the air for me.  Whether one's body can be paralyzed by external sources and result in experiences that have nothing to do with sleep is for me a given but whether it happens every time one is paralyzed before or after REM cycle commences is less certain.

3. Nell Rose profile image93
    Nell Roseposted 7 years ago

Sleep paralysis affects many people around the world, but is it a normal phenomenon or psychic event? read more

4. Phasmatis profile image85
    Phasmatisposted 7 years ago

This is a fun subject. I have experienced the medical version of this phenomenon once but know that a paranormal on also exists and can be quite deadly.

A phenomenon called SUNDS (Sudden Unexplained Nocturnal Death Syndrome) affected a group called the Hmong. It was a form of hagging involving strangulation. Which only decreased after the Hmong moved into more rural areas and were able to practice their religious beliefs again to ward off the Dab Tsong (Hag) was the cause of this.

The Hmong fled Vietnam during the war and came to America.

Interestingly among the Hmong 50-60 percent have experienced this phenomenon. Of those who converted to Christianity it went up to 72 percent.

In conclusion not only does sleep paralysis exist outside medical field but is quite fatal and has taken many lives.

5. peterxdunn profile image59
    peterxdunnposted 7 years ago

Sleep paralysis is a well documented medical syndrome. It occurs when some areas of the brain are operating in the 'conscious' state whilst other areas - such as those that control the movement of the limbs - remain dormant or unconscious. It is an abnormal - as opposed to paranormal - state insofar as it is associated with lack of sleep (over-tiredness) or irregular/disturbed sleep patterns.

It is also closely linked to delerium tremens or - to put that another way - the screaming heebie jeebies.

6. Felynx profile image62
    Felynxposted 7 years ago

Sure, this is a medically proven condition in people with irregular/disturbed sleep patterns, like myself.
    But that doesn't rule out that it has been related to paranormal activities. Something like this cannot technically be proven. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist in a paranormal sense to people who believe it to be true.
    From my experiences, sleep paralysis has been hand in hand with my body resisting something called astral projection, which is very real if you have experienced such a thing yourself. These attacks may happen when you subconciously try to leave the body in REM sleep, the dream state.
    This is why people often have visions/hear things if they think there is nothing paranormal about it. REM sleep is when these attacks normally occur.

working