Sleep Paralysis. Is it spiritual or medical issue?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)
  1. micadeolu profile image49
    micadeoluposted 9 years ago

Sleep Paralysis. Is it spiritual or medical issue?

Many have called my line to seek help in tackling this problem in most peoples lives. I try solving the problem spiritually but well... I just feel may be it could also be solved scientifically too. What do you think?

2. profile image0
    Lybrahposted 9 years ago

It may be spiritual.  I experienced it twice and it was scary.

1. profile image0
      Daveadams36posted 9 years agoin reply to this

They are spiritual mate & you must be a caring kind of person, & I've had many in the past..I know how scary they are at the time, but learn how to be mindful & try to be mindful if you get another episode..If you can, you will be able to

3. profile image0
    Daveadams36posted 9 years ago

Hey buddy the way to get out of sleep paralysis, is to learn mindful meditation as a way of gaining more awareness of one's self....Then after a few more episodes of SP & practice, they will be able to distract the thoughts that are causing the SP, & will be able to break free fairly easily..I'd say it's spiritual because in my experience it only happens to people who care, the one's with issues on their mind..Meditation, emotions & feelings control practice, & learning how to mindfully do stuff, is the cure to all negative emotions feelings & thoughts that we give to our selves....& so it's all about learning that we create all our own emotions feelings & thoughts, & that with practice we can have total control over all of them. :-)

4. Tammy L Bond profile image61
    Tammy L Bondposted 9 years ago

Taken from WebMD: Sleep researchers conclude that, in most cases, sleep paralysis is simply a sign that your body is not moving smoothly through the stages of sleep. Rarely is sleep paralysis linked to deep underlying psychiatric problems.

I used to experience this often when I was younger and I agree with Lybra, it is very scary. I didn't know what it was back then because of the superstitious answers I received. I haven't experienced it in over 25 years.

1. Paul K Francis profile image85
      Paul K Francisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes. The more I learned about it, the less it happened and the less scary it was. Have a nice day.

5. NanLT profile image80
    NanLTposted 9 years ago

Sleep paralysis can actually be quite normal. It is your body's way of making sure you don't get up and walk around (possibly injuring yourself or others) while dreaming. There are some interesting videos on youtube of animals sleepwaking because of an injury to the area of the brain that controls movement during sleep.

Most of the time you just don't notice it because the paralysis stops before you wake, but if you wake suddenly or as noted in a previous response, you aren't moving smoothly from one sleep stage into the next, you can become aware of this paralysis, or remain paralysed for a few seconds while still waking.

6. Paul K Francis profile image85
    Paul K Francisposted 9 years ago

Sleep paralysis is a normal part of REM sleep, keeping us from acting out our sometimes intense dreams during that cycle of sleep. These are the dreams we remember because they occur during light sleep during a time when we are more likely to wake up, and sometimes we may find ourselves stuck in a halfway state of awake and rem sleep. Often accompanied by intense hallucinations it can be very scary because at the time we truly believe that we have completely woken. The good thing is that it does not last and we either return to sleep but more likely to completely wake up. If we can possibly remember this while it is occurring, it would be a lot less scary. Those who look at sleep and dreaming as a whole, as being a spiritual event may see this also as a spiritual event. The best message is that it is normal and common and that everything is going to be all right. And there is nothing wrong with getting God's love involved for those who feel strongly about it in that way.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)