jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

If you has a friend who spoke to you in the same way that you sometimes speak to

1. Jangaplanet profile image78
    Jangaplanetposted 7 years ago

If you has a friend who spoke to you in the same way that you sometimes speak to yourself, how long

would you allow that person to be your friend?

2. pintails7886 profile image77
    pintails7886posted 7 years ago

I have 5 friends that I have known my entire life, I expect them to at times speak to me in ways that I would not allow others because sometimes I can not see the mistakes I am making. Sure it may make me mad for a while, but in the long run I always come around. Not only that, but they not only think I would do the same for them, they expect me to. Some times we need some one to not only treat us how we would treat our selves but worse so that we may see our errors. I would expect my wife or any family member for that matter to do the same. That being said, there are a few people I know that I would not allow to speak to me this way. However I wouldn't expect that those people would take this tone with me, unless they thought our relationship is closer than I consider it.

I hope this helps, and i understood your question right.

3. GaryLove profile image57
    GaryLoveposted 7 years ago

If the way you speak to yourself is negatively or harsh, and that's the way your friend speaks to you, this could be a vicious cycle.

It is said that you teach others how to treat you by what you will put up with from them. You must first decide to treat yourself with respect by not speaking to yourself negatively or harshly, then you should tell your friend not to speak with you that way. If the friend persists in treating you with disrespect, you should distance yourself from him or her until they stop doing that. When the friend realizes you are not talking to them because you don't like the way they behave, the friend will either change his or her ways, or you may grow apart.

Teaching yourself to focus on being friends with people who are good to you is a great habit to develop.

4. Mark Upshaw profile image61
    Mark Upshawposted 7 years ago

Forever.  I treat myself well.  I don't belittle or condemn or judge myself.