jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Are there any old wives tales or myths that you know are not true but you practi

1. cardelean profile image93
    cardeleanposted 6 years ago

Are there any old wives tales or myths that you know are not true but you practice anyaway?

For example, my mother in law says that it's bad luck to do laundry on Sundays so I try (when I can) not to do laundry on Sundays.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image92
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years ago

Not at all. Old wives tales have been joined by some new wives tales that I call "modern mythology." Some old and new can be harmful; so either harmful or time wasting -- BUT ...

However, I think it would be fun to have a party in which everyone did the harmless things - like knock on wood, don't walk under a ladder, stay away out of the black cat's way etc.

3. Denise Handlon profile image89
    Denise Handlonposted 6 years ago

LOL  I didn't know you followed this 'rule' as an old wives tale, Cara.  Do you suppose that it is really a way the older generations have been able to manipulate what the culture at the time respected: i.e. no work on Sunday-it's the Lord's Day?

I think much of the old wives tales were a result of people not understanding the laws of nature and through ignorance devising ways to 'control' their environment. 

I also believe that some of this was out of the cultures mores and again, a way to get people to follow the 'tradition' of their society.

One old wives tale I heard from a h.s. g.f. was it was bad luck to wear shoes in the house.  Well, from a housewives perspective it would create more work.  Woe be it to the person that would do such a thing.  Therefore, in reality it was 'bad luck' for that person to cross that line of consideration trampling in through a clean house after being out in the farm or woods...or even the dusty streets.

Interesting question.

4. RachaelLefler profile image95
    RachaelLeflerposted 6 years ago

I know astrology probably isn't true but I always think people I know fit uncannily into the descriptions of their star signs (Aries people are fiery, Virgos are uptight and feminine, Scorpios are broody and suspicious but very sexual also, etc.) I've also seen birthday astrology books and it is spooky how much my friends and I match the descriptions for our birthdays!
    Also, even though I'm not religious, I'm mildly afraid of the number 666, probably because I was raised very religiously.

working