Do you believe that the unicorn ever really existed? Perhaps it does somewhere e

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. keepitnatural profile image60
    keepitnaturalposted 13 years ago

Do you believe that the unicorn ever really existed? Perhaps it does somewhere else?

2. shogan profile image76
    shoganposted 13 years ago

Yes, it once existed in a 1985 Tom  Cruise movie titled Legend.  After Tom jumped Oprah's couch, however, the unicorn also disappeared.  Neither has been seen in any real capacity since.

3. Seeker7 profile image80
    Seeker7posted 13 years ago

Hi,

I think it would be lovely if it had existed. But I honestly think it is just a myth and that it was created perhaps by seeing a similar animal in unusual natural conditions. Of course human beings have been proved very wrong before and we will again, and it would be nice if we were wrong about the unicorn.

4. Jeannieinabottle profile image93
    Jeannieinabottleposted 13 years ago

I certainly wish unicorns did exist, but I don't think they ever really did.  I believe Ringling Brothers claimed to have one at some point, but I think it was just a goat.  Bummer.

5. char4u.com profile image59
    char4u.composted 13 years ago

I'm afraid that I don't believe this creature existed. Unicorn is just people's imagination and fear of natural disaster. In ancient times, scientific technologies are not so advanced as today, when some kinda disaster occurred, people may easily associate it with unicorn and other so called holly creatures. Think it's their punishment to human beings. No related and specific evidence yet! The only evidences mainly come from movies we watched.

6. MariePosa profile image61
    MariePosaposted 13 years ago

Shel Silverstien wrote a poem about why we don't see unicorns, and I agree with him! 

http://faculty.weber.edu/chansen/humanw … nicorn.htm

7. Stigma31 profile image61
    Stigma31posted 13 years ago

All myths come from some sort of truth. So what I think is that there may have been a deformed white horse that someone saw and assume it was some type of gift from god. Or it could just be the creation of some story that passed through time. The ideas of vampires and Frankenstein came from really situations, and a lot of imagination.

8. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

if it did then it is the most hidden fossil in existence. early christians were lead to believe it existed until the 18th century when it was removed from the holy and christian bible. it is scientificaly impossible for such an animal to have one horn, hooved animals have none whereas cloved animals have two horns. it took science to get it removed from most religious text.

9. zoey24 profile image76
    zoey24posted 13 years ago

I was reading up on mythology for my mermaid hub and i found this piece about Unicorns.........The Romans were very familiar with rhinos because they used them in their Roman games at the Coliseum. Then Africa became cut off from Europe with the fall of the Roman Empire and the rise of the Ottoman Empire. With Europeans being no longer able to travel to central Africa, knowledge about the rhinoceros became hazy. Eventually the only thing that Europeans knew about it was a description that it was a horse like creature with a horn in the middle of its forehead. Artists in Europe, who had never seen a rhinoceros, drew it exactly like this, not knowing that it had a far heavier build than any horse. Then because of its unusual appearance as depicted by the artists, it became a popular mythological and magical creature.
    This myth was made more confusing in the Middle Ages, when whalers began to hunt for Narwhals. These are medium size whales about 5m long. The males have a long spiral tusk growing out of their forehead. These horns were so unusual that con men began to sell them as unicorn horns. This is why in many pictures of unicorns they have spiral horns. It seems these con men, in order to make these horns “a must have item”, they claimed that unicorn horns were a protection against poisoning. It seems they completely fooled the aristocratic class, because it became fashionable to put parts of these horns in their drinks, thinking they were magical unicorn horns that would nullify the effects of any poison. Pharmacies at the time called these horns alicorn and they were widely used up until the mid 18th century in medicines.
    This myth making changed the perception of the unicorn so much, that when Europeans moved back to Africa, sailing there by ship and seeing rhinos, they no longer recognised them as unicorns and renamed them.

10. Green Wasabi profile image60
    Green Wasabiposted 13 years ago

I think symbolic meaning was attributed on purpose to creatures which did not and could not possibly exist. In this way the purity of symbol could be protected. Just imagine if you were living in The Middle Ages and believing, that Unicorn is a symbol of innocence and purity and than one day came upon it stabbing some rabbit or whatever with his corn. The symbol would be ruined. What I mean is that nature, although beautiful and fascinating it its own way, have imperfections as well, that's why perfect symbolic creatures appeared in collective human imagination.

11. profile image49
    yoeselposted 13 years ago

unicorn does exit,If you don`t belive me then come to my house. My sister has a box full of them

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)