jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Does sentience appear in the womb, at birth or during early childhood?

1. Jangaplanet profile image79
    Jangaplanetposted 6 years ago

Does sentience appear in the womb, at birth or during early childhood?

2. HattieMattieMae profile image68
    HattieMattieMaeposted 6 years ago

Well I would believe in the womb.  i would believe in the womb as soon as life is created it chooses to live or die. It's aware of the outside world, can hear, and studies have shown music and other things work to make a child smarter.

I tried this myself while I was pregnant, and after he was born the first time i played the music, he turned his head towards that direction many times when I played it.

3. MartieCoetser profile image89
    MartieCoetserposted 6 years ago

I would say in the womb to be onwards intellectually figured out.

4. profile image0
    Multimanposted 6 years ago

I have yet to figure out if there is intelligent life on earth, my guess very few reach the condition of which you are questioning.

5. ryancarter profile image59
    ryancarterposted 6 years ago

"the living knew themselves just sentient puppets on God's stage"- T.E.Lawrence

I would say in the womb, but the answer is subject to one's interpretation of the term "sentience".  A loose definition would be "sensory awareness", which develops in the womb.

6. peterxdunn profile image61
    peterxdunnposted 6 years ago

All living things possess some degree of sentience (awareness of self - they react to changes in their environment) - even microbes.

7. Alastar Packer profile image85
    Alastar Packerposted 6 years ago

If people have an eternal spirit or soul a good bet would be it enters the fetus around the third week. Why? It would be rational that it would come into the body by some organ. The still, somewhat mysterious pineal gland begins to form at this time.Could the fetus then be sentient; maybe. Of course this only a speculation.

working