jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

"What are the dangers of postmodernism?"

1. Jangaplanet profile image78
    Jangaplanetposted 6 years ago

"What are the dangers of postmodernism?"

2. Slarty O'Brian profile image83
    Slarty O'Brianposted 6 years ago

Postmodernism is what I do a lot of Hubs on. I don't see it as dangerous, I see it as misinformed and unfortunate. To say there is no objective reality is proven false by stating it as a fact. If there is no objective reality then  stating that there can be no objective reality can not be an objective fact. If you consider it a fact you have proven your statement that there are no facts, wrong. 

Besides which, it is no different than perspectivism by Friedrich Nietzsche , so it's just a rehash of old nonsense.

3. profile image0
    Multimanposted 6 years ago

the dangers of post modernism would be the rise of a neochristianity.

4. DanuckInUSA profile image58
    DanuckInUSAposted 6 years ago

The dangers of postmodernism is the risk it poses to modern society. More and more the ideologies and structures of society are coming around to a more postmodern understanding. This view and philosophy leaves those that are bound to modern thought and process confused and without understanding. These days without understanding you very quickly fall out of position in society.

5. arb profile image80
    arbposted 6 years ago

I don't particularly believe that thinking is dangerous. Those who believe in little green men impact me no more than those who hold that reality is relative. Even a wrong proposition makes us think. The propositions of postmodernism only serve to strengthen my position in revealing the errors in theirs. Brainwashing is dangerous, thinking and discourse are necessary to find our way.

6. manspaugh profile image59
    manspaughposted 6 years ago

If you mean by postmodernism that thinking and questioning things is good, then there could be nothing wrong with it.

But if you mean that postmodernism means tolerance to all types of views and beliefs, then I see a couple dangers in it, but I'll just name the one.

Postmodernism in this way can create an idealistic method of tolerance to those who are tolerant or "postmodern", but then the postmodernist automatically becomes intolerant of those who are intolerant.

I've seen too many people become intolerant for the sake of tolerance. Crazy huh?