jump to last post 1-17 of 17 discussions (17 posts)

Do you Understand what You believe?

1. twobmad profile image81
    twobmadposted 7 years ago

Do you Understand what You believe?

Do you think that you really need to understand before you believe?

2. chaz cecil profile image59
    chaz cecilposted 7 years ago

Yes...  Without understanding its like building something on a poor foundation.  No matter what the belief, if the foundation is poor, your belief will be weakened as time passes.  If I believe in aliens, without "ANY" evidence that they exist, how can I stand behind that belief.

3. THE DIVINE YOU. profile image59
    THE DIVINE YOU.posted 7 years ago

Most times you don't. Like Augustine said, there are certain times you must believe in order to understand.

4. apache13 profile image60
    apache13posted 7 years ago

that is such a loose question that I want to answer it losely .How can anyone fully believe in the unknown?The only reason I believe in the one god the creator is because I saw him.there is no way I would have ever believed if it had been up to blind faith,or listening to preachers who are more worried about how much I make than my soul,its not fair to most that they never get to see god,and his name is not Jesus its Yahwah and don't tell me yahweh I know thats not right because he showed me his name,and to spread that name is my mission.I don't even understand it all and I saw his flesh and hear his voice but I believe because I have no other choice,the unbeliever is already condemned Its between them and God so if people don't thats on them.

5. profile image0
    imranhaiderposted 7 years ago

i think we need believe to understand that something is going on the right way .

6. drdspervez profile image69
    drdspervezposted 7 years ago

I believe that everything I believe I understand and everything I understand, I believe.

Though some things are out of the human beings understanding range.

7. Variety Writer profile image60
    Variety Writerposted 7 years ago

Don't always understand what I believe but I believe what I understand.

8. mcrawford76 profile image83
    mcrawford76posted 7 years ago

Does faith require knowledge? Do you have to know how oxygen works in order to breathe it?

9. ahmed.b profile image77
    ahmed.bposted 7 years ago

Twobmad!
    your question is really thought provoking, and depicting the thrust of a pure theologian. Well ! for me the answer is that most of the times we tends to be believing that we understand what we believe. However the actual reality may be slightly different. And this slight difference may be making things upside down, turning understanding of of your belief in entirely opposite direction. So believe that how much we understand to our beliefs is not too much, and should always be more and more curious about understanding of our believing. And before understanding, and believing anything is actually unbelieving, it is just a believing due to some other fear or greed. But once you belief something with real understanding then and only then it will be actual belief.

Have a Good Day..!

10. Decosigner profile image59
    Decosignerposted 7 years ago

NO. Human understanding is limited. We even sometimes can't understand ourselves.

Believing first leads to success and understanding.

11. fallenpixie09 profile image60
    fallenpixie09posted 7 years ago

I understand most of what i believe and what i don't understand faith brings me through and i re read until i get a meaning that i can understand more clearly.

12. All_is_well profile image57
    All_is_wellposted 7 years ago

Thank you so much for asking this question, i ask it to everybody but never thought of asking it online.

People generally tend to act like sheep sometimes, following the herd wherever it goes, never setting a path themselves.

13. profile image46
    MsPadaleckiposted 7 years ago

I am a strong believer in the superstition stuff and paranormal stuff!

14. Druid Dude profile image61
    Druid Dudeposted 7 years ago

Definitely. What if I were to get behind the wheel of a car with just the "belief" that I can drive. It is best to at least understand the fundamentals of driving before attempting to do so.

15. Jarn profile image72
    Jarnposted 7 years ago

No, so I just believe what I understand. Heck of a lot easier.

16. arb profile image80
    arbposted 7 years ago

Yes!  "faith is the evidence of things unseen". Some times the heart knows before the eye can see and what the heart knows, will eventually find its way to a head that loves to get in the way. I understand what I believe, not because I can always see, but because, at times, He makes known what I can not see.

17. Diki Bird profile image74
    Diki Birdposted 7 years ago

According to mcrawford76 I wanna say again you don't have to understand everything you believe.

working