jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Should the Catholic church allow for priests to marry?

1. DanuckInUSA profile image61
    DanuckInUSAposted 6 years ago

Should the Catholic church allow for priests to marry?

Would allowing priests to marry reduce sexuality scandals?

2. profile image0
    mikeq107posted 6 years ago

As a former Catholic I think yes, its a normal, natural gift from God..To supress it only leads to pain and suffering  and besides how in the world can a priest council a married couple ..when he has never been in their shoes..the guy has never slept on the couch... LOL

3. 2besure profile image82
    2besureposted 6 years ago

It would be allowed for priests to marry.  But the fact that priest can not marry has nothing to do with the problems of sexual abuse of children by priests. Committed priest that join the priesthood because they love God and want to serve are not the problem.  It is the pedophiles who join the priesthood for the purpose of having access to their victims. (children)

4. furnitureman profile image60
    furnituremanposted 6 years ago

You know, DanuckinUSA, this is the next hub that I will make. Anyway, my answer to your question is a resounding NO. The Catholic Church won't allow the priests to marry. Just wait for my hub and I will explain the reasons for this matter. As to your second question, to be in a married state is not really a guarantee that a person, not only the priests, does not tend to commit sex scandals. Married or unmarried, a substandard priest falls into temptation just like any ordinary mortal who doesn't live according to the norms of Christian living. Thanks a lot and may God bless you. More power to you.

5. HOOWANTSTONO profile image61
    HOOWANTSTONOposted 6 years ago

Be careful Priests might be marrying each other soon, they already pushing for it.

This is what God says about the Catholic Church

Rev 18:2     And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird.

6. aka-dj profile image76
    aka-djposted 6 years ago

The issue of priesthood is not a New Testament teaching. We are ALL "kings and priests to our God". Those who are called to full time ministry are not under any "Law" to be celibate. It's a church rule, NOT a Biblical one. The Catholic Church is out of line to start with on this issue.
    Paul clearly stated that if a man cannot "contain" himself, LET him marry. At least some of his sexual urges would be met. Not withstanding, married men are also guilty of child molestation and abuse, so I don't see how that would eliminate the problem. It may reduce it though.
    Absolutely YES, they should be allowed to marry (but not each other. lol)

7. DonDWest profile image63
    DonDWestposted 6 years ago

Yes, priests should be allowed to marry. I don't see how priests being celebite makes them closer to God. If anything, getting married will probably help priests better understand a certain demographic that makes up over 50% of Christians.

Will it reduce sexual scandals? Probably not, the cat is already out of the bag that the priesthood is the place to be for access to pedophilia. It may take centuries for the church to clean up such a stereotype.

working