jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why dont you fear God?

1. blueorpurple profile image59
    blueorpurpleposted 6 years ago

Why dont you fear God?

2. peterxdunn profile image60
    peterxdunnposted 6 years ago

The scariest thing about god is the fact that - strange as it may seem - there are grown-up people that actually believe in him.

3. profile image0
    AKA Winstonposted 6 years ago

Why dont you fear God?

Because the concept of god(s) is an idea of man - there is nothing to fear.

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

i don't fear what isn't real. if god was real, with the way things happen that he supposebly controls, i'd be terrified of him.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 6 years ago

When I studied puritan writing in my American lit class, it became clear early on that the fear of god was a tool used to keep order in a fledgling society. It's helpful, when you have an unstable system of law, to enlist the ultimate policeman/judge to do all the work for you; if you misbehave, you're going to hell. I think that's why atheism is so much more common in modern day society because we now have a complex law system in place that can be followed without the need for a god character. Belief still exists, however, because it provides an easy answer for an impossibly complex question (why are we here or how did we get here?). So, since we have a relatively stable law system, and we have scientific answers, the fear of god has largely become obsolete.

working