jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

This is a question for Christians. Should you forgive someone, if they do not a

1. preston7153 profile image61
    preston7153posted 6 years ago

This is a question for Christians.  Should you forgive someone, if they do not ask for forgiveness?

A fellow believer and I discussed this and could not seem to get a clear answer.  The Bible talks of forgiving those who ask for our forgiveness, right????  I understand we should not harden our hearts to people or hold grudges, but are we even able to forgive someone until they want our forgiveness?

2. daskittlez69 profile image77
    daskittlez69posted 6 years ago

Forgiveness isn't necessarily about the other person.  It is also for you.

3. Hyphenbird profile image90
    Hyphenbirdposted 6 years ago

Yes. As daskittlez stated, forgiveness is not about the offender. It is about us and our relationship with God. He forgave us before we asked, before we were even born. The grace of forgiving frees us from oppression, anger and hopelessness. A conscious choosing to let go of the past wound allows it to heal. When we are in a place of forgiveness we are into the spiritual and letting go of human emotions.
    Now forgiving does not meant forgetting. We must be careful not to put ourselves in danger over and over.

4. HOOWANTSTONO profile image59
    HOOWANTSTONOposted 6 years ago

Your question..."but are we even able to forgive someone until they want our forgiveness? "

Its not if they want your forgiveness, its upto you to forgive regardless, its not your problem if they dont want your forgiveness.....God has died on the cross for all humanity and forgiven their sin, but its upto humanity to accept the forgiveness and walk in the forgiveness even though we dont deserve it.....That is exactly what Jesus Christ did ....he is Gods Grace in the flesh....

5. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

I think we should. I think the Bible says we should not only forgive but love our enemies, the latter not always easy to do. I don't think it matters whether someone asks for our forgiveness. I think we need to forgive all who trespass against us and pray for them.