jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is religion just a way to control the masses?

1. itsameanoldscene profile image59
    itsameanoldsceneposted 6 years ago

Is religion just a way to control the masses?

2. peterxdunn profile image58
    peterxdunnposted 6 years ago

Yes and it has been for approximately 6,000 years. Religion was first used as a way to organize (ie control) people enmasse in ancient Sumeria. The origins of the three main belief systems (that I think of as prefabricated mindsets) that exist today: Judaism, Islam and Christianity, can all be traced back through the myths and legends of the Egyptians, Babylonians and Assyrians to the Sumerians. There was also, of course, a large input from Greek myth as the the writers of the New Testament were all Greek speaking individuals. This is why the Christian concepts of Heaven and Hell closely resemble the Greek Arcadia and Hades.

The truly sad thing is that not enough people - living today - have woken up to this historical reality. A great many people are still controlled by mindsets that were first fabricated 6,000 years ago. They cannot see that they are being led into a war: between Christians and Muslims, that is going to kill vast numbers of people. They think that they will be fighting this war 'for' their religion. They won't. They'll be fighting to make rich people even richer. They will be dying for a lie and dragging the rest of us down with them.

3. ThompsonPen profile image79
    ThompsonPenposted 6 years ago

I agree with peterxdunn completely. not much of a constructive, contributing comment on my part, but it seems silly just to say the exact same thing. nice question smile

4. profile image0
    Marie-AnneLeClercposted 6 years ago

My answer is yes indeed they do and have been doing so since the pre-Colombian years... Though I'm not so sure if this question will stay for long until its wiped out due to 'promoting' discussion rather than questions; as I have seen this happen many times...

5. profile image0
    klevifushaposted 6 years ago

You asked and answered your own question. I think religion has the potential to become something positive, only if it is used for spiritual guiding, and spiritual guiding only.

As the brilliant George Carlin stated, "I wouldn't mind these folks putting the commandments up on the Alabama court house wall, as long as there is one additional commandment, 'Thy shall keep thy religion to thyself.'"

6. cooldad profile image61
    cooldadposted 6 years ago

I think religion is the biggest con ever perpetuated upon the human race.  I don't think religion itself actually controls anything or anyone.  But I do think that there are many religious leaders who prey on their weak minded congregations and utilize the fear of religion to increase their coffers and advance their agendas.