jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Is the Bible True Or False Or Both?

1. Sinbadsailorman profile image76
    Sinbadsailormanposted 6 years ago

Is the Bible True Or False Or Both?

Do You Believe Genesis Chapter One and Two are true or that they contradict each other? If So Why? Or Do You Believe That Chapter One Is A Poem?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4740816_f260.jpg

2. irenemaria profile image73
    irenemariaposted 6 years ago

The truth from cover to cover! But not everybody understands it. (1 Corinthians 2:14) 14 But a physical man does not receive the things of the spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot get to know [them], because they are examined spiritually.

3. Born Again 05 profile image80
    Born Again 05posted 6 years ago

I believe the Bible to be God's Holy Word, the absolute Truth and inerrant (without error). Do you really believe that the Creator of the universe is incapable of keeping His Word pure? From the very beginning in Genesis to the last book of Revelation, God has revealed His plan of salvation for mankind. Don't you know that there will come a day when every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord? Seek Him now while there is yet time!

4. sonfollowers profile image83
    sonfollowersposted 6 years ago

The Old Testament was compiled and translated into Greek 250 BC which we call the Septuagint.  This translation contains prophecies written hundreds of years earlier about an "annointed one" who would come and be killed to pay for "our iniquities".  Later in the first century A.D. (between 50-100 AD), the new Testament books were written which tell the story of a man who fulfilled all of these Old Testament prophecies.  Their writings were copied almost flawlessly and circulated in the first century.  Thousands of copies exist today for us to study. 

Secular historians (including Tacitus from Rome) corroborate the story of Jesus' death at the hands of the Romans and even verify that a large movement had erupted of people who believed that Jesus had risen from the dead and had been seen walking around after his crucifixion.  He reportedly had been seen by hundreds of people at one time, in fact.  This belief, as hard as it would be for anyone then to believe, actually spread like wildfire all over the region and even to Rome.  Rome was so perturbed that they began to persecute and kill as many Christians as they could.  Still, despite death and mayhem all around them, it was a wildfire that couldn't be stopped.  So much so that it took over Rome and eventually became the capitol of the Catholic church.  This wasn't legend.  The stories were circulating while eye witnesses were running around.  They should have been easy to refute.  But instead, nothing could stop it.  And here we are today.  Despite the best efforts of some, the church flourishes. 

This part of the Bible is true.  I personally believe the other stories are true as well.  I can offer no proof for Noah and the Ark or Jonah and the Fish.  But I believe them all the same.  Even if I am wrong about those stories, that doesn't invalidate the supporting evidence for Jesus as the Messiah.

5. regina s profile image60
    regina sposted 6 years ago

I think it was written for the time...I don't consider the Bible to be true or historically accurate...I don't understand people who take it literally...doesn't make sense to me!

6. profile image54
    dzaputoposted 6 years ago

Well, for sure there is some truth in the Bible, but it is also completely full of contradictions, geographical errors and chronological errors. But this is to be expected as it was written over the course of centuries by many different authors.  Let us not forget also that the books contained in the NT (the Canon) were chosen by men and not agreed upon until around 250 AD,  the very first mention of the NT in the form we have it today was by Bishop Athanasius in letter in 367 AD...but back to your question.... It is full of contradictions and variable stories...but don't take my word for it read it for yourself and see.  Here are a few:

After the crucifixion who visits the tomb first ? ...the gospels don't agree!
    MK 16:1,  MT 28:1, LK 24:1 & LK 24:10, JN 20:1

What do the women see at the tomb?, again contradiction
    MK 16:5, MT 28:2, LK 24:4, JN 20:1

How does Judas die ?
    Acts 1:18-19
    MT 27:3-10

and for some more in Genesis try 4: 1-15  and ask yourself where the people in the cities came from!!!

In my opinion anyone that views the Bible as inerrant is making an error themselves and should try actually reading it

7. vjwillisjr profile image60
    vjwillisjrposted 6 years ago

If you are asking this question, it is probably because you are trying to set a trap for people who do believe. The Bible has withstood ALL its critics for well over 5000 years.

In fact, C. S. Lewis was an atheist when he began writing his work "Mere Christianity". By the time he had completed the work he was convinced that the Bible and Christianity are truth.

If you are sincere in your quest for truth, I would strongly urge you to read this book, then take another look at the Bible.

Either way, I will be in earnest prayer for you.

8. komobo81f profile image55
    komobo81fposted 6 years ago

Just sit down and read it. it will answer it's self. It's just a collection of stories It's hard  to believe that anyone could seriously take it as facts but they do. There is not one piece of physical evident's to support that the bible is anything other than a collection of fiction stories.

working