jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Is Atheism a belief or a religion?

1. csalang profile image60
    csalangposted 6 years ago

Is Atheism a belief or a religion?

2. profile image0
    Indigitalposted 6 years ago

I would say it's more a belief that there is no God, rather than a religion. In atheism I find I do not have to rejoice over any "super-human" or "God" - only be happy with what I believe in.

3. terrektwo profile image83
    terrektwoposted 6 years ago

I'd say more of a non-belief, it's the default for those that don't believe in religion or the afterlife.

4. Chouji-Von-Lycan profile image57
    Chouji-Von-Lycanposted 6 years ago

it's the beliefe that religion is false

5. Jonesy0311 profile image61
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

Atheism can't rightly be classified as a religion because there is no idol to worship. It is more of a lack of belief than anything. Mostly, I think it is used to convey that somehow logic and reason procude the possibility of a supreme being. Atheists embody the opinion that science has explained much of what once was the place of religion and philosophy. Basically, that we no longer require a God to explain anything in the observable universe.

6. Vinaya Ghimire profile image87
    Vinaya Ghimireposted 6 years ago

Atheism is actually not a religion but the atheist follow  atheism very like believers following God.

7. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

it's a reality check. i don't care how much someone argues the point of god's existence, it's just silliness. i'm an atheist , though i don't like the tag. i'm more like a person who lives in reality not in fiction.

8. Karen Graham profile image60
    Karen Grahamposted 6 years ago

Although I am not an athiest, I think I can still answer your question. An athiest does not have a 'religion', but believes that science has answered many of the questions about the creation of the universe, the earth and other phenomena that for many centuries the 'church' said were all created by God. It is difficult to deny what science has proved to be factual. We can see the bones of the dinosaurs, we have been to the moon, and studied it's dirt and rocks. I saw a documentary a week or so ago, and Stephen Hawking was the narrator. He is also the one that had people in an uproar over his latest book, professing the belief that God did not create the world or the universe.

His commentary was very hard to dismiss. And, for me, being an intelligent person, and believing in science and the theories of Darwin, and also believing in God, it did make me do some serious thinking. I myself have decided that I will not lose my faith, and here is the reason why. At the end of the documentary, Hawkings said that the creation of the universe came as a 'Bang'. Just that, a 'Bang'. Even he could not explain it fully. So, why not God doing the 'Big Bang'?

9. Rheagl profile image76
    Rheaglposted 6 years ago

Atheism is definitely NOT a religion as there is no actions of regularity (things done religiously).  It could be considered a belief as an Atheist believes there is no God. Most rely on the concept that science has explained everything.

Curios though...  I have seen Atheist, who have experienced the presence of God change what they believe, but I have not seen a Believer in God who has experienced the presence of God start believing that there is NO God.  I have seen a broken bone heal in three days (and have the xrays to prove it) and I have two beautiful daughters, both dextracadia (hearts turned backwards in their body) with nine open-heart surgeries between them, who have had several times that the doctors cannot explain why they are still alive.  I have seen God in action, thus I have a basis to know He exists.  An Atheist does not have that advantage.

Here is a follow-up question:  How does an Atheist explain things that happen which CANNOT be explained with science? (and do not think that I rule out God utilizing science for our benefit. I thank Him for our doctors.  LOL)

10. profile image0
    writerwoman222posted 6 years ago

Simply put atheists do not believe in any god or afterlife.........................................

11. denkmuskel profile image77
    denkmuskelposted 6 years ago

Often atheists are said to believe in atheism. Atheism is no belief as it has no content but the non-existence of god. As this non-existence is true until his existence is proven, there is no need for a believe therein. read more

working