jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Religion and Philosophy are put together?

1. ronhi profile image74
    ronhiposted 6 years ago

Religion and Philosophy are put together?

What is the relationship between the two, or why did HP put the two together ?

2. Carlon Michelle profile image71
    Carlon Michelleposted 6 years ago

This is done so that people feel enlightened and not responsible for deciding on one faith.  With Philosophy they can mix and match beliefs from any and all faiths to conform to their personal way of life and value system instead of the requirements God sets out for them in the bible.  Smile!

3. profile image0
    SJmorningsun25posted 6 years ago

I'd say the relationship between religion and philosophy is that they both ask (and attempt to answer) the "higher" and more abstract questions of life: What is the meaning/purpose of life? Where did we come from? Is there a God/Higher Power? If so, how does/should that impact the way we live? Is there life after death? And others. Since some people find their "meaning" in both, as opposed to one or the other, it makes sense to combine them as a category. That, at least, is my understanding.

4. Crosseyed profile image58
    Crosseyedposted 6 years ago

Philosophy can be very important in defending faith! Especially the Christian faith which makes claims that can be verified in history. Check out some of my hubs as they come out to see more on the relationship between philosophy and religion. I think it can be an important relationship and can make a world of difference.

5. Peter Leeper profile image82
    Peter Leeperposted 6 years ago

Religion and philosophy can both be one in the same or used to explain one or the other.  There are entire college educations based on this that one can pursue to strengthen their religious enlightenment, empower their argument as to whether or not there is a God as well as examine what the "Soul" is and can it exist separately from the body.

St. Thomas Aquianas is a good example of a religious philosopher who tackled some of these issues and gives a good perspective.  At very least, if you can understand it (can be difficult to some times) is very thought provoking!

Good question!

6. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Because religion is philosophy and philosophy includes religion.