jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Religion-The root of all good or evil?

1. mrcontroversial profile image57
    mrcontroversialposted 6 years ago

Religion-The root of all good or evil?

2. jonmcclusk profile image60
    jonmccluskposted 6 years ago

Interesting question, actually. I have been born and raised as a Catholic but as I am now I do not practice it. People sometimes use religions as their influence to do good or evil things, but I say it's the values that you were taught from said religions that you should be keeping. My parents raised based on their Catholic faith and those are the values I choose to run my life bye, even though I myself don't keep on my Catholicism. Religion, to me, has always been something that was merely at catalyst for your own beliefs; a sort of middle man. I believe in God, I believe in good values and helping others, why do I necessarily have to go to mass every week and hear about people from the bible who believed the same? I suppose, for me, religion is the root of all neutrality? I think I'm just making more questions for you, rather than answering them, ha ha.

3. profile image0
    Phoebe Pikeposted 6 years ago

Neither. Religion is the belief of people in something greater than themselves. It is people who are good or evil. Religion doesn't have a perference unless humanity wants it to justify their actions and ideals.

4. profile image0
    msivakumarposted 6 years ago

Fundamentally all religions are good - they prescribe good values, tolerance, respect for others and etc.

Unfortunately, the patrons or the self styled patrons of the religions (which included the medieval kings, religious heads and cliques) who wanted to have control over the population (practitioners of the religion) promoted enmity between the religions. Or in a milder way, wanted to establish the superiority of the respective religions. This is the root of evil which still continues.

5. Msnancy profile image59
    Msnancyposted 6 years ago

Definately not, however, some Religious folk can be evil with intentions of being good...for example: Judgemental Church mothers who give you a disgusting look if you come into church looking like you've been out in the clubs all night!!! Partiers need a word too dont they?? lol

6. anupma profile image78
    anupmaposted 6 years ago

No, religion is the root of always good things, It is we the human being that take it in a wrong way. No religion teaches to harm anyone, but mostly to spread our religion more we take the wrong ways. We interpret wrong. Otherwise all religions are good and mostly similar.

7. brittanytodd profile image94
    brittanytoddposted 6 years ago

I don't think "religion" can be the "root" of good or evil.  Religion is the organized practice of faith, but not the belief itself.  It's important to make this distinction before attempting to determine its morality.  Personally, I have seen believers use religious practice for good and evil.  The actions depend on the individual.  I do not think that religion is what determines whether a person is good or evil and therefore cannot be a "root" of either.

On another note, the phrase "root of all evil" comes from I Timothy 6:10, which states "The love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."  It is often misquoted as being, "Money is the root of all evil."  Just thought it was important to note.