jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Why do we think of "God" as male when he/she/it may be something entirely differ

1. Druid1952 profile image61
    Druid1952posted 6 years ago

Why do we think of "God" as male when he/she/it may be something entirely different?

In the Bible we read that "God" made man and woman. This seems to imply that "God" is neither man nor woman. Yet all of the post-diluviun religions consistently refer to "God" as a male. This is done even though in the Hebrew text "Gods" names are all of a feminine gender save one. Why is this?

2. Philanthropy2012 profile image88
    Philanthropy2012posted 6 years ago

As far as I know there are two answers for this question:

One- is that the word "he" is actually gender neutral until context is given (in old english)

The second - is that during the time of translation, it was men who were delegated the job and as such, they simply used the male pronoun.

3. jainismus profile image71
    jainismusposted 6 years ago

As God is created by Men, he is a Man. It is just a partiality.

4. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

You have to shake the cobwebs out of your head. Jesus, is the "Son of God" Jesus constantly in the Gospels of the Holy Bible refers to God as His Father. Since when can a "Father" be female.

In truth though, God is "Spirit" and being God could and can take on any image God chose to be. The Bible says God is masculine, that's good enough for me.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

God made man, and he took part of the man and made woman. Christ refers to God as his Father.  Because I believe in the Bible, that is what I need to assume he is male.

6. profile image0
    nomadicasianposted 6 years ago

Genesis in the Bible quoted God as He, so definitely He is a male.

7. profile image0
    Indigitalposted 6 years ago

jainismus and duffsmom have both showed you that God is male through texts and such, but I put forward a different idea. Do you, the believers, see God as a mighty power, and thus push him towards a male form? A more dominating, powerful ruler.

8. ChasingAutumn profile image60
    ChasingAutumnposted 6 years ago

Because for most of our history men held more power and authority than women. A woman could not be educated or clergy or at one point even taught to read. Because society saw women as lesser beings, it made sense that God must be male as he is the superior gender.

9. uknow profile image58
    uknowposted 6 years ago

because the bible says he and the picture kinda looks like a man. with that robe on you can hardly tell.