jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Did you give up something for Lent?

1. Robie Benve profile image99
    Robie Benveposted 6 years ago

Did you give up something for Lent?

If yes: What is it, and why do you think it's important?

2. Rev. Akins profile image77
    Rev. Akinsposted 6 years ago

I gave up something, but it may be seen as cheating. I gave up being so hard on myself. I am a pastor of a small rural church and a lot falls on my shoulders. I decided that this Lent I am going to do something to make myself a better person all around, with the intent of continuing it afterwards.  So I am going to be easier on my failings and short comings. I am going to spend less time worrying about how I could have done or said something better. This, I am sure, will bring me closer to God and those I serve.

3. Diane Stephenson profile image71
    Diane Stephensonposted 6 years ago

We do not  follow the practices of Lent in our church and I have never attended a church that did. But our church calls a 21-day fast at the beginning of the year. That sets the tone for the rest of the year. Fasting, as opposed to giving something up, is a Biblical mandate. Jesus said, "When you fast", not "When you give up TV, or smoking, or sweets...". But when we fast we also need to spend more time in prayer and reading the Bible, otherwise it is of little value other than physical. In that sense it's more about what we add than what we give up. The discipline of fasting should be about getting closer to God. I have known people who gave up sweets for Lent but never saw any inclination to get closer to the Lord. It was simply a duty carried out rather than a love (of God) pursued.

4. quildon profile image80
    quildonposted 6 years ago

@Diane Stephenson. I love your answer. I think we should use every opportunity to get closer to God. The lenten season, coming so soon after the holidays, is a good time for us to do some internal cleansing, both physically and spiritually. The best way to do the first is, of course, through fasting. For the second, it's prayer and Bible study. In years gone by I've done different types of fasting, including the Daniel fast. This year I don't plan to fast, but I definitely plan to give something up - and that is worrying. With more prayer and immersing myself in the Word I should be able to kick the habit.

5. Mary Stuart profile image79
    Mary Stuartposted 6 years ago

I did not give up anything for lent but I did commit to 2 mile daily power walking for Lent. It feels great. Does that count?

6. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

No, the Bible makes no mention of Lent. It is man-made doctrine.