jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What three experiences in your life taught you lessons you haven't forgotten?

1. Gemini Fox profile image89
    Gemini Foxposted 6 years ago

What three experiences in your life taught you lessons you haven't forgotten?

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years ago

Divorce taught me that sometimes love is not enough to make a marriage work.

Widowhood taught me that you should never take anyone for granted.

Marriage taught me that you can love more than one person in this lifetime.

3. Civil War Bob profile image60
    Civil War Bobposted 6 years ago

I got hit by a car as I stepped from between two parked cars: Lesson #1...don't do that, look both ways.  Result: Daredevil Radar @ cars.
    I jumped off a roof when called "chicken."  Lesson #2...don't do that, know a good doctor.  Result: I ignore "chicken" except when it's on my plate.
    I've given myself cuts requiring 25 stitches in 55 years. Lesson #3...don't do that, "always cut away from yourself" is Carpenter's Rule #1, "ignore CR #1" and know a good doctor and the way to the ER!  Result: Scars that predict weather and practical first aid training!

4. netslums profile image84
    netslumsposted 6 years ago

1. Awhile back, a lady came into the store that I work at and was upset at the price of her items. However, after a second, she calmly said "oh well, it's just money...I can't take it with me." It's funny how a random customer has made such a great impact on my views...if she only knew how her simple comment has affected me.
    2. I was unhappy with my part-time job, but held on to it so desperately that I forgot the most important thing: that it was (and every part-time job will always be) a means to an end. I quit, and have never been happier. Sure, this may seem like a miniscule accomplishment in the eyes of the older and wiser, but for me, it was tough to see that sometimes all it takes is a leap of faith.
    3. When I was 15, my neighbor's dad died in a car crash, and shortly afterwards my friend killed himself. I learned that it was not only devastating (to those closest to you) to die, it was easy. Since then, I've always tried to live my life like every day was my last.

5. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 6 years ago

Giving help whenever necessary without any returns. It helps to create good Karma and Merits for yourself as well as your family members.

I remembered giving help to anyone I come across during my working life and it can be rewarding as I also receive help when in need. The lesson from this shows that it is always good to give aid to anyone during your lifetime and you will never know when it will be your time that needs the help.

6. Nights Dream profile image59
    Nights Dreamposted 6 years ago

A friend's death when I was a teenager. She was the first girl I fell in love with. It was the first time someone I loved, outside of family, died. I learned a lot about life and myself for several years after it happened.

My wife's death in 2007. I learned that no matter how a person thinks they will handle a situation, you don't know until it happens. Every human being has events, in their life, that can break them and change them forever.

I was attacked and robbed in 2010. I can survive anything. The week after, I even did things, like go to a homeless shelter for a meal I never thought I could.

I hope this is not too personal a response.

7. badegg profile image79
    badeggposted 6 years ago

My Uncle always taught me to "always have class. Whatever you do in life, do it with class." This meant always dresses nicely with cleanclothes, shaving everyday, behave appropriately for any given situation.

My dad always lived by the rule "Don't let yourself do anything that you'd have to lie about later."

If someone asks for help, regardless of what it is and you are able to help them, do not turn them away.

8. ackman1465 profile image60
    ackman1465posted 6 years ago

When I was caught in hurricane Klaus, in the BVI, aboard my sailboat, I learned that living life was important..... keeping others safe was important.... and that all the trappings of life wouldn't "mean" much if I weren't alive to take advantage of them....

9. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

1. Don't go into debt so you risk losing things when you don't have the money.
    2. Invest in useful skills so you can earn a living.
    3. Invest in relationships that help you, from family to friends.